‘Uthrive’ educates students about health

news

Jack Lincoln

The first annual “Uthrive” event encouraging Chico State students to participate in activities and events that promote their overall health and well-being was held Tuesday through Friday. Many events emphasized exercise in the form of sports, as well as the benefits of healthy eating.

“Our generation and age group contributes the least to our overall health and wellness,” said Matthew Riebe, a sophomore political science major and the program associate for Bell Memorial Union Events.

“We are a fast-food nation that mostly eats processed, unhealthy foods,” he said. “We are reaching out to all the students who need the most help in regards to improving their own health and wellness.”

The event began in Trinity Commons with a rugby ball toss game sponsored by the Chico State women’s rugby team. Many other events continued throughout the day such as a rowing workshop put on by the Chico State rowing team and the Weigh of the Nation documentary film series presented by the Center for Nutrition and Activity Promotion and the Nutrition and Food Science Association.

Wednesday’s events involved similar activities but also included a cornhole game put on by the Student California Teaching Association and an inner tube water polo activity at the Wildcat Recreation Center pool, sponsored by the women’s water Polo team.

“The WREC events have all been a big success, but having Dr. Drew come speak at the BMU is going to be huge,” Riebe said.

The most anticipated day for the event was Thursday, largely due to the fact that celebrity guest speaker Dr. Drew Pinksy was going to be taking questions from the audience and offering his advice and expertise.

Uthrive culminated into a giant pool party/education gambit on UV protection at the WREC pool Friday as well as opening up the personal training gym for students to use.

Riebe said that it was important to include other organizations in the event to increase popularity and to use it as a recruitment tool for these organizations as well as give students the opportunity to learn about other clubs on campus.

“We have been planning for the event since late last semester,” he said, “Collaborating with all the organizations on campus was definitely the hardest part.”

Riebe said the event was a success if it educated people about their health habits and he wants to see a higher attendance of students going to the WREC.

“We definitely want this to be an annual event,” he said, “By next year I want the event to build up to be as big Wrectacular, actually, even bigger.”

<strong>The Orion can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:editorinchief@theorion”><em>editorinchief@theorion</em></a>

1. Matthew Riebe