One Step Beyond: Baseball

sports

Kevin Augustine

Bringing a championship ring home to Nettleton Stadium is the top priority for Chico State baseball. The Wildcats are ranked third in the California Collegiate Athletic Association Baseball Preseason Coaches’ Poll, second in the West Region poll and 19th in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Division II Preseason Poll.

Chico State finished 2010 with a 26-14 CCAA record, fourth in the conference, and made it to the NCAA Championship Tournament West Regional before being knocked out of the first round by Hawaii Pacific. It was the Wildcats’ 12th tournament appearance in 15 years.

The Wildcats have 22 fresh faces for 2011, along with a few returning starters from last year’s playoff run. Senior second baseman Jackson Evans, who earned NCBWA Honorable Mention All-American and NCBWA first team All-West Region honors in 2010, will be prowling the infield for head coach Dave Taylor’s Wildcats.

Despite the success the Wildcats had in 2010, things won’t be easy in 2011. April and May are expected to be huge months for the Wildcats, as they face three of the top five CCAA Preseason Coaches’ Poll picks, but a majority of them will be held at Nettleton Stadium.

Here’s a look at some of the key conference series for Chico State this spring.

<strong>Cal State San Bernardino, April 8-10:</strong>

Ranked fourth in the CCAA 2011 Baseball Preseason Coaches Poll, the Coyotes were third in the CCAA in 2010, posting a 27-13 record in the division – but lost to the Wildcats in the CCAA Championship Tournament. The tournament elimination game had both teams combine for a tournament single-game record 31 runs and 46 hits – 23 hits for each team respectively.

San Bernardino head coach Don Parnell has four returning All-CCAA players on the Coyotes’ roster, including first-team sophomore outfielder Ethan Chapman and second-team junior pitcher Aaron Brooks.

The Wildcats were 1-2 in the division series against the Coyotes in 2010.

Junior pitcher Phil Hymas remembered the playoff matchup against the Coyotes fondly.

“We went all-out against San Bernardino in the playoffs last year,” Hymas said. “The series should be a huge test for us – not to mention fun.”

<strong>U.C. San Diego, April 29-30 and May 1:</strong>

Ranked first in the CCAA 2011 Baseball Preseason Coaches’ Poll, the Tritons were first in the CCAA in 2010, posting a 35-5 divisional record while making it to the NCAA Division II College World Series, where the Tritons came up one win short of a national title.

Head coach Dan O’Brien leads the two-time defending conference champions with a roster that includes returning senior pitcher Tim Shibuya, who was an American Baseball Coaches’ Association first-team selection last year, and senior outfielder Kyle Saul, who was selected for the third team. Both earned Division II All-American honors last year for the conference champion Tritons.

Adrian Bringas, senior starting third baseman on the Wildcats, can’t wait to face the cream of the crop.

“We are definitely focused on San Diego this year,” Bringas said. “In order to be the best, we have to beat the best.”

<strong>Sonoma State, May 6-8:</strong>

Ranked fifth in the CCAA 2011 Baseball Preseason Coaches’ Poll, the Seawolves were seventh in the CCAA in 2010, posting a 17-23 divisional record.

Head coach John Goelz and the Seawolves started the season by sweeping Cal State Monterey and are now 3-0 for the tenth consecutive year.

Chico State has a long history and rivalry against the Seawolves, and lost to them in Chico in the 2008 NCAA Western Regional title game.

The Wildcats were 1-1 against the Seawolves in 2010.

In 2010, the ‘Cats were just one series away from the College World Series. This year, it’ll be all about finishing the job.

Kevin Augustine can be reached at

[email protected]