Women’s basketball team falls to Cal State Monterey Bay

sports

Emily Duran

The ninth-ranked Chico State womenʼs basketball team faced off against Cal State Monterey Bay in Acker Gym tonight.

The Wildcats hold the top spot in the California Collegiate Athletic Association, and hoped to build on their 9-1 record over the fifth-place Otters.

A 4-4 tie five minutes into the game quickly became a 10 point lead with 11:28 left in the first half. Despite falling back by 10 points, the Otters battled back to take a 29-28 advantage going into halftime.

The second half was a closely-fought battle. The Otters went on a 6-0 run until senior Synchro Bull scored the Wildcats’ first points of the second half. Chico State trailed Cal State Monterey Bay for most of the second half until tying the game at 39 with a little more than five minutes remaining.

The ’Cats took their first lead of the second half when sophomore Hannah Womack hit a 3-pointer to make the score 42-40. A four point run down the stretch for Monterey made the score 49-44 with only 48 seconds left.

Despite their efforts, the Wildcats fell to the Monterey Bay Otters 51-44.

“We didn’t play as a unit and had a lot of mental lapses,” junior guard Jazmine Miller said.

Bull led the ’Cats in scoring with 12 points, and senior Monnie Davidson-Mays added 10 points. Junior Courtney Hamilton had a team-high eight rebounds along with five points.

The loss leaves the Wildcats with a 13-2 record overall and a 9-2 record in conference.

Chico State’s women’s basketball team will face Cal State East Bay at 5:30 p.m. Saturday in Acker Gym.

Saturday’s game is the “biggest game of the season” for the Wildcats, Miller said.

<strong>Emily Duran can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>

1. Miller drives to the hoop
  2. Stingy defense