Shutout in first game, walk off in second earns wins for softball squad

sports

Price Peterson

Chico State women’s softball team pulled off victories in both of their games on Friday against Humboldt State.

Senior starting pitcher Kayla McConnell pitched the first game of the double header throwing a strong seven innings, allowing six hits one walk and striking out seven.

“It felt great to get the win,” McConnell said.

McConnell’s performance was dominant, earning her second win of the season.

The Wildcats also had the easiest time scoring so far this season getting five runs in the first three innings of the game.

Chico State was led offensively by freshman first baseman Desiree’ Gonzalez who went 2-4 and scored a run. The other offensive stand out from the first game was junior designated player Kayla Barber who went 2-3 with an RBI.

That would be all they needed as McConnell kept the highly-touted Lumberjack offense from scoring.

The hero of the second game was sophomore third baseman Emily McEnaney. She hit the game winning walk off double after a 14 pitch at bat, in which she fouled off about 11 of the pitches she saw in her at bat.

The game was a fight from start to finish as Chico State had to come back in the bottom of the eighth to pull off the 2-1 win.

Senior starting pitcher Alex Molina took the mound in the second game allowing one run and walking six over eight innings.

Although Molina allowed the tying run off a home run hit by Humboldt State’s third baseman, the defense was able to keep the Lumberjacks from scoring again.

With the win Molina improved her record to 5-2 on the season.

“A lot of the credit goes to the pitching today,” head coach Angel Shamblin said.

The softball team will play Humboldt State again tomorrow starting at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.

<strong>Price Peterson can be reached at </strong><em><a href=”mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a></em>