Dorm-sitters’ rewards outweigh challenges

Matt Shotland<br>Staff Writer

In exchange for free room and board and coverage of a majority of tuition, resident advisers must take on more responsibility then most people can handle.

Some do it to meet more people, some to build stronger leadership skills and some to become part of a community. One way or another, students every year apply to become a resident adviser for the residence halls of Chico State.

“These are full time students with a full time-job,” said Celina Noriega, residence community coordinator for Whitney Hall.

Noriega said becoming a R.A. is a challenging process where students must show leadership qualities and a strong commitment in order to get the job. Students who are interested have to take a one-unit class for five weeks and show skills in organizing activities.

This year 75 students applied for the position and only 30 made the cut. Noriega said many students come from organizations such as Associated Students, but for the past three years there have been people from different states coming to Chico for the position.

Senior Jeff Poprik, Whitney Hall R.A., transferred to Chico this year from Bowling Green State University in Ohio through the National Student Exchange Program. With two years behind him as a R.A., Poprik looked at as many as 28 different schools to find a different experience.

He said the laid-back environment and smaller community of Chico sparked his interest.

Poprik said the schools may be different, but when it comes to his job, the same rules apply.

Although he will be there for them as a friend, Poprik said he tells his residents that when it comes to a violation, whether it be alcohol or noise, they have to face up to it.

“I don’t like writing up people because it makes me feel like a mom or dad,” Poprik said. “But at the same time, I have to keep these people true.”

Junior Katy Coss, another Whitney R.A., said that she does everything she can for her residents because she feels it helps make a difference.

“These kids leave their parents and they really do depend on us,” she said. “No matter how much they say R.A.s suck.”

Being an authority figure along with trying to balance school and a social life is Coss’ biggest challenge.

“You get so wrapped up in this job that it always comes first and school second,” she said. “It’s hard but the benefits equal it all out.”

Shasta Hall resident Nicole Maingue said her R.A. isn’t around all the time because she is involved with other organizations on campus, but she lets her residents know when she is available.

“If we need her, she’ll be there for us,” Maingue said. “She gave us her cell phone number and said she’d pick us up anywhere.”

For some the commitment can be too much. Former R.A. Fay Roepcke had to quit the position last year because her job with A.S. had her leaving Chico often for a week at a time.

“I didn’t feel it was fair to my residents to remain their R.A. because this job requires so much of my time that I wasn’t able to give,” she said.

Noriega said students who become R.A.s gain qualities that are more than beneficial to their character.

“It helps them grow, they dedicate a lot of time to their residents,” she said. “As hard as it can be, they’re the ones who try to make the residence halls a place of learning as well as living.”<em>Matt Shotland can be reached at <a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a></em>