• The student health center is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays, and is closed for an hour each day from noon to 1 p.m. Courtesy: WellCat Health Center, taken by Jason Halley/University Photographer

Healthcare for students anytime, anywhere: all the WellCat has to offer

• Second Street from the B Line bus station. Taken by Maki Chapman on Feb. 28.

Backsliding on alcohol rules, or maybe moving forward

• Staff Members of the Black Youth Leadership Project 
Left-Right: Pamela Irby, Laniea LaGarde, Quinessa Stibbins, Laila Anderson, Candy Jackson, Keila Lee, Brandon Trowel

Community leadership project aims to uplift Black youth 

• Jason Rabinowitz, secretary-treasurer of Local 2010, addresses Unit 6 workers ahead of the ratification vote. Photo taken from Teamsters 2010 Flickr account.

Teamsters Local 2010 tentative agreement to be voted on by CSU Board of Trustees

• Multiple cars populate the campus lot where a vehicle was burglarized Wednesday morning. Taken by Ariana Powell on Feb. 28.

UPD arrest 2 vehicle burglary suspects; stolen property recovered

Funeral held for former student

IMG_1258.JPG
Family and friends of Marc Thompson gathered in the sanctuary before the sermon. Photo credit: Jovanna Garcia

Family and friends gathered at Chico’s Seventh Day Adventist Church on Monday to honor Marc Thompson, a former Chico State student who died last month in a burning vehicle.

Thompson’s family filled up the front four rows of the church’s sanctuary. The ceremony lasted for two hours and about 80 people showed up.

There was a eulogy and obituary reading and a slideshow at the funeral that celebrated Thompson’s life through photos.

Pastor Cubie Finley, a family friend, followed with a sermon in memory of Thompson.

“Instead of preparing yourself for something that is not positive, prepare yourself for something that is positive,” Finely said. “Learn as much as you can about as much as you can and it’s obvious that this young man was trying to learn as much as he could about as much as he could.”

LaWanda Thompson, Marc Thompson’s mother, said she remembers the last time she spoke to her son.

“It was just an everyday conversation with my son – always pushing him to do something,” she said.

She said her son was kind, generous and always made a difference.

“Even as a child, he made a difference with his friends and he was loyal, very loyal,” his mother said.

Thompson’s burial site was in Oroville. There will be a campus memorial for Thompson 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 7 at the Chico Performing Arts Center.

Jovanna Garcia can be reached at [email protected] or @Jo_garcia19 on Twitter.