New vice president appointed for AS

JeffZ.jpg
Jeffery Zawoysky, senior and newly-appointed A.S. executive vice president. Photo credit: Jovanna Garcia

The Associated Students board of directors met Nov. 4 to approve several members to vacant A.S. positions, including Jeffery Zawoysky as executive vice president.

The A.S. had been searching for replacements for several positions after former executive vice president Kory Masen resigned and three other officers were deemed ineligible to hold their positions.

“We interviewed four candidates and then brought back Jeff for a second round,” said Taylor Herren, A.S. president. “We are confident in our recommendation. We’ve made it clear that we need someone who is a team player, committed, accountable and a good communicator and we feel very confident that Jeff is that person.”

Zawoysky is a senior, majoring in health service administration.

He is a former vice president of Phi Delta Theta, former vice president at the Residence Hall Association and has worked for A.S. Productions.

A.S. Productions is an organization run by the Associated Students. They plan events for students on campus. Some of the events include musical performances, indoor and outdoor movies, motivational speakers, seasonal events and game nights.

Zawoysky said A.S. Productions helped him get a feel about what the A.S. is all about.

“I feel excited and a little bit overwhelmed,” Zawoysky said. “They definitely told me that I have a lot to learn so I’m excited to start learning and see what I’m able to do.”

The board of directors were looking for somebody who would be committed and be present at events, Herren said.

“Jeff being in the position is going to take a workload off of everyone,” said Jovan Smith, vice president of facilities and services. “I’m excited to see him lead the Government Affairs Council.”

Zawoysky said everyone else started in August or July, but hopefully he’d be able to catch up pretty quickly.

The A.S. approved Courtney Silver as commissioner of sustainability affairs at an earlier meeting.

Other members that were approved on Nov. 4 include Crystal Vasquez and Madeline Micheal.

Vasquez is a grad student studying nutrition. She was elected as a senator for the College of Natural Sciences.

“She is very qualified and personable and she is a phenomenal candidate and fit for this position,” said Michael Pratt, director of university affairs. “She met every expectation we had and then exceeded it.”

Micheal is a junior majoring in communication studies. She was elected as a senator for the College of Communication and Education.

“She is very enthusiastic and fit all of the criteria,” said Pratt.

The senators are liaisons between their colleges as well as with students. They make sure things are going smoothly and that the A.S. is informed and communicating well with every college.

Jovanna Garcia can be reached at [email protected] or @Jo_garcia19 on Twitter.