• Meet The Orions fall 2024 editorial board. Collage created by Ariana Powell on May 8 using Pixlr.

Meet The Orion’s fall 2024 editorial board!

• President Perez shaking the hand of Taylor Bisby as she receives her Masters degree. Taken by Jessica Miller on May 15

Chico State celebrates Graduate Studies Commencement

• Live from the World Contamination Tour. Photo taken by Penny Howle and courtesy My Chemical Romance.

An alt-girl’s origin story: emo beginnings

• Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Congrats to The Orion graduates!

One Mile named Chico’s best outdoor recreational spot

OneMile-BudgetFriendlyWeb.jpg
    Illustration by Kayce Tynan Photo credit: Kayce Tynan

I googled One Mile the other day and found that it’s ranked No.1 of 27 things to do in Chico on Trip Advisor.

While the reviews are great (I found out it’s better to go on a Friday right after Sycamore pool is cleaned), if I was visiting Chico for the first time, I don’t know how much I would actually trust a website.

But I’m not visiting for the first time. In fact, I’ve lived in Chico for three years now, and I can testify that if nature and a relaxed environment is what you’re looking for, then One Mile is the place to go.

It’s a good place to appreciate the great outdoors without having to travel long distances.

I usually bring a blanket to lay under the shade of the trees. I watch kids running around, groups congregating around picnic tables and people hesitantly entering the freezing pool.

That’s actually my favorite part— watching people cringe and scrunch up their faces after putting only one foot in the water because yes, it’s that cold.

One thing I’ve noticed is everyone is welcome, Chico locals and students alike. There is no segregation. If anything, One Mile brings people closer together.

I view One Mile as neutral ground. Locals and students have an opportunity to escape the rowdiness of downtown by enjoying the scenery One Mile has to offer.

I never miss an opportunity to spend the day there because after every trip, I feel slightly more connected with nature.

It’s always shocking when people who have lived in Chico for at least one year tell me they have never visited One Mile.

My roommate, Alyssa, recently revealed she had never been to One Mile up until a few semesters ago. How could she have not stumbled past the park, even if by accident, when she only lived a couple blocks away?

Like Alyssa, people who have never visited One Mile will learn to love the park even after their first visit. I know I did.

It’s my favorite spot in Chico to just sit, read a book or people watch because it’s so close to home yet I feel like I’ve walked miles just to escape the hustle and bustle of town.

It may seem like I’m overselling the ambiance that you feel while sitting on the grass at One Mile, but the next time you go close your eyes for a few seconds, breath in the fresh air and watch out for those pesky mosquitoes.

Jovanna Garcia can be reached at [email protected] or @Jo_Garcia19 on Twitter.