Chico State softball stays unbeaten behind powerful bats and strong pitching

Pitcher Naomi

Pitcher Naomi "Nemo" Monahan delivers a pitch against Cal State San Marcos, with shortstop Wendy Cardinali ready for the pitch. Photo credit: Anne Chamberlain

The Chico State softball team is beginning to feel unstable,after winning both games of their double-header Friday against Cal State San Marcos to improve their unbeaten record to 11-0.

In game one, the Wildcats won 3-0, followed by a third straight shutout, winning 4-0.

In game one of the double header, starting pitcher Haley Gilham started off behind after her first five pitches thrown were balls. After a quick meeting in the circle with catcher Claire Wayne, Gilham and Wayne quickly got back on track, with Gilham only allowing only two hits and finishing a season high nine strikeouts in the complete game shutout.

unnamed-2.jpg

Pitcher Haley Gilham congratulated by teammates following her game one win. Photo credit: Anne Chamberlain

It was a slow start for both teams but the bats of the Wildcats quickly started showing up after Wayne hit an RBI single in the bottom of the 4th to put the ‘Cats on top 1-0.

Infielder Bailey Akins homered to left in the bottom of the 5th scoring Cardinali to put the ‘Cats up 3-0. Akins hit a high fly ball and the San Marcos outfielder appeared to be under the ball to make the catch. The ball went off the outfielder’s glove, off her shoulder, and over the wall, bringing the fans and her teammates to their feet.

unnamed.jpg

Bailey Akins mid swing in an at bat against San Marcos Photo credit: Anne Chamberlain

In game two of the double header, coming off her no-hitter Saturday, Naomi Monahan kept the hitless streak alive until the third inning. Monahan would allow six hits, however she added another complete game shutout to help lead the Wildcats to a 4-0 victory.

On the offensive side of the ball, the Wildcats were led by Karli Skowrup. In the bottom of the third inning, with Akins on second base, Skowrup came to bat and hit a line-drive two run homer to put the Wildcats up 3-0 and that is all pitcher Naomi Monahan needed for the win.

The Wildcats continue play at 11 a.m. Sunday at home as they complete their series against San Marcos.

Katalina Santamaria can be reached at [email protected] or @katalinaleanet on Twitter.