Haley Gilham tosses no-hitter for Wildcats as Chico State gets win number 20

Haley Gilham tosses a pitch in her first no hitter as a Wildcat. Photo Credit: Janna Weiss Photography

As if six complete-game shutouts and two one hitters on the year weren’t enough, Chico State softball pitcher Haley Gilham topped that Friday, tossing her first career no-hitter as a Wildcat in the 4-0 win over Cal State Monterey Bay.

Despite pitching a miraculous game for the Wildcats, not allowing a hit and striking out 10, Gilham came just two walks short of a perfect game.

What was different Friday from other days in the minds of Gilham and her catcher Claire Wayne?

For Gilham, it was more mental than anything. “For me its just more mentally reminding myself of the accomplishments as a team and what we have done so far because they have my back.”

OnlineResizedHaleyGilham.jpg

Haley Gilham readies for a pitch in a home matchup for the Wildcats. Photo credit: Alex Grant

Wayne, Gilham’s battery-mate behind home plate, on the other hand, saw something different Friday. “Her spots were on point today. We talked about it before the game and we were excited.” Wayne went on to talk specifically about Gilham’s pitches, saying, “Her drops were killing it today. Her changeups and drops were getting people to chase and they were really killing it today.”

This wasn’t the first time Gilham has flirted with a no hitter or perfect game on the season. She tossed a one-hitter against the Academy of Art in her first start of the year, as well as Feb. 17 against Cal State San Marcos.

Gilham was coming off of two losses against Stanislaus State and Chico State Assistant Coach Randy Watt put Gilham’s bounce back best when saying, “She’s pretty focused all the time. She lost a game last week and well, she doesn’t like to lose. She’s very competitive.”

While the Wildcat offense is powering its way through the year eyeing records of their own, in now her senior year, Gilham has provided the Wildcats with an ace to lean on and a pitcher looking to break records of her own. Tonight, a no hitter in her senior season, is just one more accomplishment to add to her list as Wildcat.

Justin Couchot can be reached at [email protected] or @JCouchot_Sports on Twitter.