Money won’t boost school pride

Desiree Rogers<br>Orion Columnist

Chico State University students don’t have enough school pride, according to the Associated Students. In fact, our level of pride is so diminished that the A.S. feels it is necessary to spend $20,000 of our money on a campus pride campaign.

A Feb. 11 press release states, “‘Go Chico!’ intends to restore and enhance campus pride and unity by focusing on student achievements and values that the students want to uphold.”

I was not aware that campus pride needed restoration, and how can A.S. possibly know the values that each student wants to uphold? Did anyone ask the students what we thought of campus pride before the campaign was adopted? Did anyone bother to ask us if we thought this was a good idea? No one asked me.

The press release also states that the “Go Chico!” logo will be placed in “aesthetically pleasing locations throughout campus in an effort to raise the standard of life at Chico State.” How is a logo going to accomplish a better standard of life?

The “Go Chico!” campaign is an immense misuse of money, effort and time, and as a student who has a great amount of pride in this university, I find it somewhat personally insulting. I love this school so much, and when I am told that I am not proud enough of it, I do take that personally.

The A.S. is saying that we, the students, do not have enough pride in this campus, when I honestly believe that nothing could be further from the truth. Granted, I do not know the thoughts of the entire student body, but I do know that many of us brag about attending this university and will continue to talk highly of it when we are old and gray and trying to convince our grandkids that there is no better place to get an education than Chico State.

If the A.S. wants to enhance campus pride, then it should have created a campaign in celebration of it and not in promotion of it. A celebration would not imply that we aren’t upholding a high standard of campus pride. A celebration would not have to cost $20,000 and would rejoice in the greatness of Chico State while building on the existing campus pride.

But the A.S. is not doing that. It told us that we don’t have an adequate amount of school spirit and is trying to buy the loyalty of students who are already loyal to the university by distributing free T-shirts and buttons donning the “Go Chico!” logo and holding barbecues and picnics.

The money needed to fund the project is supposedly going to be donated from Chico State alumni and the community, but no matter where it comes from, that money is going to be wasted on an unneeded, pride-pumping promotion. You simply can’t make people proud of their school by giving them a free T-shirt and feeding them a hot dog.

Here’s an idea: Instead of spending money on food and items that many students will only take because they are free, not because they support the campaign, why doesn’t A.S. use the money toward helping the sports teams with their expenses or extending library hours on Friday and Saturday?

I have never heard anyone who is currently attending or has attended Chico State talk badly about the school. In fact, all I have ever heard is how wonderful and unique the university is. People who have attended Chico State have a loyalty to the school that is unlike anything else. So why is A.S. going to spend thousands of dollars trying to instill school spirit amongst students who already have it?

There are endless complaints of the bookstore apparel being too expensive, but despite the whining, every person I know owns a Chico State sweatshirt or T-shirt.

That tells me that students are so proud to attend this school, no matter how much they have to shamelessly beg their parents for the money to buy a shirt, or dish it out themselves, they will. They will because they love this university and want to represent it.

I have said before that I love Chico State, but my backpack will remain without a “Go Chico!” button. I won’t support this unneeded campaign that hopes to instill campus pride amongst a campus already bursting with it.

I am proud of every aspect of this university and I don’t need a $20,000 T-shirt to prove it.

Desiree Rodgers can be reached at:

<a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>