‘Killing’ the pain, name of game

Chris Cullen<br>Staff Writer

Pain is both inflicted and received on a regular basis for Chico State volleyball star Stacey Clifton. Clifton has gone through two major knee injuries in college, yet manages to lead her team in kills and digs.

“Stacey is definitely a go-to player,” said Lindsey Karkula, fellow teammate and roommate. “If we need a kill or to put the ball away, we go to her. Everyone on the team trusts her.”

Clifton came to Chico as a sophomore transfer from the University of Texas. At Texas, Clifton started as a freshman, but immediately tore the meniscus in her left knee and was forced to have surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

After her first injury, Clifton spent a few months rehabilitating before returning to the team. Five months later, Clifton reinjured the same knee, this time tearing the inside cartilage.

“I don’t think anyone who hasn’t gone through an injury can understand how hard it is to go through one,” head coach Cody Hein said.

After Clifton’s second injury, the head coach at the University of Texas, Jim Moore, left the program. Moore left Texas and took the head coaching job here at Chico State. Clifton, who was still recovering from her injury, ran into some new problems after Moore left.

“I did not get along with the other coach at Texas at all. I worked much better with coach Moore,” Clifton said.

One year after taking the position, Moore contacted Clifton and told her he wanted to bring her to Chico. Clifton considered the proposition, and a week later, agreed.

“It was a tough decision, but I don’t have any regrets about coming to Chico,” Clifton said.

Even though she was limited in what she could do, Clifton came to Chico and quickly impressed her teammates.

Clifton spent two years playing strong for Moore, but at the end of last season, Moore quit the head coaching position at Chico to take another job.

“Jim was my only college coach for three years,” Clifton said. “We had a good player-coach relationship.”

In April, Cody Hein took over as the head coach at Chico State. Hein spent three years at Florida Tech University and was really anxious about coaching at Chico. Clifton was a little worried about the transition of having a new coach.

“It was harder for me at first because of my knee problems,” Clifton said. “I couldn’t practice some drills and I couldn’t go full-out, but coach Hein talked to me and told me he had faith in me.”

Hein and Clifton sat down the first week and talked about her capabilities. Hein had a lot of confidence in Clifton and said he was excited to work with her. The two discussed how hard Clifton could work and came to a clear understanding.

The two have worked great together ever since. This year, Clifton leads the team in kills, averaging 4.75 per game, and in digs, averaging 3.44 per game.

“She has a lanky body and she knows how to use it,” Hein said. “Being 6’1” in Division II is a real advantage.”

Clifton is limited on how much she can practice, yet her teammates said she is still very committed.

“She never gives up,” Karkula said. “If she doesn’t get a kill right away, she will go after it. She is a very hardworking athlete, and she will do anything to win.”

Clifton’s knee bothers her on a regular basis. Clifton must ice it after every practice and sometimes before practice as well. Clifton said the only time she is pain-free is when she is not doing anything athletic.

“Her knee still gets swollen and sore, but she fights through it,” Karkula said. “She’s had her injuries, but she got through them.”

When Clifton started playing college volleyball, she had dreams of playing professionally overseas. Clifton still dreams of this, but her injuries have most likely crippled her chances.

However, Clifton said if she is given the opportunity, she will take it.

This year, Clifton wants the team to make the playoffs and hopes to bring home a national championship. However, much of that has to do with how healthy Clifton can stay.

“As a team, we would lose a lot without her. I don’t think anyone has the potential Stacey does,” Karkula said. “She will be key in our chances of making the playoffs this year.”<em>Chris Cullen can be reached at <a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a></em>