Students envision redesign of Laptop Lounge

news

Kayla Smith

The Meriam Library Laptop Lounge will receive a remodel with new color, a new logo and possibly new furniture.

American Society of Interior Design students created a renovation layout for the lounge that focuses on student comfort, zoned areas and a more inviting feel. The proposed layout was presented to the provost, vice provost and a member of the library staff last Wednesday.

The presentation included sketches, booklets and a virtual computerized tour.

“Our goal is to put a new face to the Chico State library,” senior interior design major Tiffany Richter said. “We’ve taken inspiration from the surrounding environment and propose to rename the space ‘The Grove.’”

A new logo to go with the name would reflect the school’s natural environment, she said.

Mike Schilling, vice provost of information services, said that the natural theme of the new Laptop Lounge would invite students to have a place to grow.

“It seems that there could be an opportunity to extend some of these design concepts throughout the first floor,” he said.

After asking members of a focus group questions about how they feel about the current space, many students said the Laptop Lounge feels institutionalized, depressing and overwhelmingly open, Richter said.

“We want students to get off the streets, take advantage of the extra hours that the lounge is open and feel safe and comfortable,” she said.

Junior interior design major Carson Mallonee presented the idea of barriers that would vary in height to create different zones within the vast space.

“We wanted to create a social area in addition to studying areas for students to sit and talk with company when taking a break in between classes,” she said.

Adding track lighting throughout the space will create a homier feel as well, she said.

“Neutral, calming colors will be implemented to bring a revived and fresh feeling that is full of life,” Mallonee said. “We want to bring the outside in.”

Junior interior design major Bethany Haley said the sloping walls would allow for compartmentalized areas to serve the different needs of students.

“We didn’t want to ignore people who need the space to be quiet, but we wanted to meet the needs of people who also need a social space,” she said.

Instead of being a strictly quiet area, students would feel welcome to come to The Grove and work in groups or talk in the late-night hours when it is the only place that is open, she said.

Jay Fuller, a staff member of library management and student personnel, said the sloping walls would break up the straight lines that currently exist in the space.

“I think it’s absolutely right that the giant open space is intimidating,” he said.

He noted that it would not be expensive to bring these ideas to life, yet he would like to make sure the plan follows fire safety code rules.

The proposal will need to be reviewed by other members of the faculty before being approved, said Belle Wei, provost and vice president for academic affairs, but she was pleased with the ideas.

“This is just fabulous,” she said. “Hopefully we can see this come to fruition and we can have your names on it somewhere.”

<strong>The Orion can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>

1. Carson Mallonee
  2. Tiffany Richter
  3. Bethany Haley