April showers accounted for in Wildcat budget

sports

Andrew Delgado

Save it for a rainy day.

The athletic department has had to do just that, as rain-delayed games inconvenience not only the players but also those who must account for schedule changes.

Athletic Director Anita Barker has to consider where the team will travel and where they will stay, she said. When the rain postpones a game, Barker has to scramble to make sure the teams extend their stay if necessary.

The softball team had to hang out in Humboldt a few weeks ago, as rain pushed back the series an extra day.

The department sets aside $100,000 as a reserve fund for such events.

“Our goal is to not extend road trips if possible,” Barker said.

Mitch Cox, the assistant athletic director, finds it difficult for the teams and those who work at games, he said.

“When we reschedule a game we have to take into account the umpires and make sure we can get them for whenever the game is played,” Cox said.

The altered game days haven’t negatively affected funds, Barker said.

“The amount of games and days we stay doesn’t change, just the days we play,” Barker said, “so it doesn’t affect hotel cost, just the inconvenience of rescheduling.”

The athletic department must also take into account the cost of a potential playoff run.

This season, the women’s soccer team made it to the Final Four of the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division II tournament in Florida.

The ’Cats played seven playoff games.

“We pay for the cost upfront, but the NCAA reimburses us so it doesn’t affect the budget,” Barker said.

The NCAA pays for the regional and national championships.

Kim Sutton, the women’s soccer team’s head coach, plans her squad’s trips during the season.

“We do the leg work of finding the hotels and making sure it works out for our schedule,” Sutton said. “We have corporate credit cards which come out of the fund.”

The money does not come out of the coaches’ pockets, but it is up to them to decide where their team will stay, and a flexible fund is used for the season.

While a team may know a family in the area while on the road, NCAA rules state that teams must stay in a hotel and cannot stay with others to save money.

April showers are looming, and the Wildcats may have to save money for a rainy day a few more times before the seasons are over.

<strong>Andrew Delgado can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>