Softball team scores 16 runs in doubleheader wins

sports

Price Peterson

The Chico State women’s softball team brought out the big bats Friday showing off its offensive capabilities in a doubleheader sweep on the road against Cal State Stanislaus.

“We did what we had to do and we never let down and it paid off,” said junior starting pitcher Alex Molina.

The first game started out rough for the ‘Cats when Cal State Stanislaus jumped on senior starting pitcher Kayla McConnell early, getting two earned runs in the first inning.

McConnell pitched 5.2 innings in a no decision, allowing five runs to score, four earned. She also walked four and struck out five batters.

Chico State’s offense was stymied for four innings as the Warriors amassed a five-run lead.

The ‘Cats offense finally broke through in the top of the fifth, scoring a run on a fielder’s choice and another when sophomore right fielder Marlee Rettig stole home.

The stolen run shrank the Warriors lead to 5-2.

After McConnell was pulled in the top of the fifth, freshmen relief pitcher Cheyenne Sandoval took over.

She pitched the remainder of the game and gave Chico State a chance to come back.

“Cheyenne came in and did a great job to close the game,” McConnell said.

In the top of the seventh the Wildcats’ offense came to life.

The hitting effort was led by freshman first baseman Desiree’ Gonzalez’ double to right center, which cleared the bases and tied the game at five.

Molina came to bat as the designated player and singled up the middle. Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run and put Chico State up 6-5.

“I’m just happy I was able to pull through for everyone,” Molina said

Sandoval pitched 1.1 scoreless innings to get her first win of the season.

The second game was an offensive eruption for Chico State as the team won by a score of 10-6.

It was the first game this season in which Chico State scored runs in the double digits.

The game was scoreless until the third inning when the ‘Cats jumped out to a two-run lead. Cal State Stanislaus was able to negate it by scoring four runs in the bottom of the third.

Molina struggled and fell behind in the pitch count against several batters.

“The umpire wasn’t calling my corners,” said Molina, “I wasn’t willing to adjust and neither was he.”

The Wildcats’ bats came alive in the fourth inning when they scored five runs, took the lead 7-5 and never gave it back.

Chico State scored three more runs in the top of the fifth inning to increase the lead to 10-5.

Molina only allowed one more run for the remainder of the game for a final score of 10-6.

She pitched a complete game with nine strikeouts and five earned runs.

“If we keep this up offensively we are going to continue to see great results,” sophomore second baseman Kelli Keefe said.

The Wildcats will play another doubleheader tomorrow on the road against Cal State Stanislaus.

<strong>Price Peterson can be reached at </strong><a href=”mailto:ppeterson@theorion,com”><em>ppeterson@theorion,com</em></a>

1. Unity