‘Cats win two in a row

sports

Brett Appley

Strong play on both sides of the ball helped the Chico State men’s basketball team defeat Cal State East Bay 68-43 Saturday in Acker Gym.

Chico State’s offense was highlighted during the first half by junior guard Rashad Parker’s three 3-pointers.

The ’Cats held Cal State East Bay to only seven field goals in the first half, and the Pioneers shot 25 percent.

“We knew they had three really explosive scorers, and we tried to lock in on those guys,” senior guard Damario Sims said. “When our defense plays that well, it gives us a lot of confidence.”

Free-throws seemed to be a challenge for both teams as they shot a combined 5-13 from the line during the first half.

Four first-half blocks from junior forward Amir Carraway, along with hard fought defense from Chico State kicked the momentum toward the Wildcats at the end of the half.

The ’Cats pulled away and led 34-18 by halftime.

Chico State continued to out-play Cal State East Bay in the second half, increasing the lead to 25 with 10 minutes remaining.

The Pioneers struggled offensively, finishing the game shooting just 29.5 percent from the floor.

Junior guard Sean Park led the Wildcat offense with 15 points. The team received plenty of support off the bench from sophomore forward Jordan Barton who scored 10 points and grabbed nine boards.

With Saturday night’s win, the ’Cats move to 10-6 on the season and 7-5 in conference play.

The Wildcats begin a four-game road trip Thursday against Humboldt State.

<strong>Brett Appley can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>

1. Semple drives to the hoop
  2. Park goes for the shot
  3. Splitting the defense