Super Bowl Sunday serves up good game, good friends, good times

Dan Stivers

It’s just about that time of year again. No, I’m not talking about Valentine’s Day. I’m talking about THAT time of year again. You know, the time of year where bone-crushing hits, mind-boggling pigskin throws and adrenaline-pumping runs all culminate into the mother of all Sundays. The time of year when an entire city is immortalized by the success of a 53-man roster. The time of year that marks the last meaningful game played since the prior one, which ended in another season-ending interception by Brett Favre. OK, maybe that was a little below the belt. Yes, it’s super bowl Sunday again and if the past few years are any indication, Super Bowl XLIV won’t disappoint. To be honest, how could it? The Feb. 7 showdown between the Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints could showcase one of the greatest Super Bowls of all time.These two teams were the first to start out this season 13-0 and they are now set to square off against one another. What better way to spend the day than with a group of your closest friends, distant acquaintances and people you don’t like but don’t know why. Everyone in the same room, drinking a few beers and chucking tortilla chips at each other in a rather poor impersonation of Peyton Manning. Sorry, Manning to Wayne is always more accurate than you to your buddy across the room &- always.So what are you doing to celebrate this most glorious occasion, Chico?”I’m probably going to relax with some friends and drink, you know, just enjoy the game,” said Jose Quijas, a 20-year-old junior computer engineering major. “The last time I really had big plans for a Super Bowl was a couple years ago. I went to a friend’s Super Bowl party, which turned out great.” Other Chico State students have similar plans.”It’s going be between the day before and the day of when I’ll know for sure where I’m going to go to watch the game,” said Isaiah Banks, a freshman psychology major. “That’s when I’ll know for sure where I’m going to go to watch the game. It all depends on the circumstances that present themselves between now and then.”So, who you picking’ to win it all? Ryan Browning, 21, a senior history major, knows exactly what team he’s taking. “I want the Saints to win,” Browning said. “They’re such an exciting and fun team to watch. It’s a good story with how that whole city rallied around their team after Hurricane Katrina a few years ago. They kick ass even though they’ve never been to the Super Bowl before.”More than any other American sport, the NFL’s final stage is widely celebrated by fans of all teams &- even those who had been previously eliminated or didn’t make the postseason at all. Ask non-Yankee fans or non-Philly fans if they watched the 2009 World Series and you’ll most likely get a response equal to or less than, “Uh, yeah I saw the last three innings of Game 2.”But when it comes to the Super Bowl, fair-weather fans and die-hards alike have a reason to unite and enjoy each other’s company during the ultimate showdown between the NFL’s best. Heck, you don’t even need to be a football fan to enjoy the Super Bowl. It has practically become an American holiday, a day in which we relish the tradition of relaxing and getting to know people better in front of a big-screen TV that just so happens to be playing the most important game of one of the most popular sports in America. Indeed, the Super Bowl has become as much a holiday tradition as a sporting one.As a loyal Chargers fan, I can’t help but be disappointed about my team not representing the AFC. That’s why, between now and Feb. 7, I’ll probably be moping about what could have, should have and would have been. Come Super Bowl Sunday, its back to watching some good ol’ NFL football, enjoying good company, making bets and drinking some brew. Not sure where I’ll be yet &- maybe I’ll be hosting a kick-back of my own. Or perhaps I’ll end up house-hopping and be a guest instead.What I do know is I can hardly wait for Super Bowl Sunday, regardless of the teams playing. But I guess I’ll be rooting for the boys in black and gold and cheering ruthlessly every time Peyton gets knocked on his butt by one of those big, burly defensive lineman from the Saints. Bring it on Colts!Dane Stivers can be reached at [email protected]