Professors push to pass state budget on time

Gitzel Vargas<br>Staff Writer

In a press conference at Selvester ‘s Cafe-by-the-Creek Wednesday, the California Faculty Association expressed its support for Proposition 56.

For 17 of the past 25 years, the budget has been late. But on the March 2 ballot, voters will see Proposition 56, a proposition that could change that.

If passed, Proposition 56, the Budget Accountability Act, will hold state legislators accountable for passing the state budget on time.

It would reduce the two-thirds majority required to pass the budget to a 55-percent majority. It would make the budget breakdown available in voter pamphlets and online. Proposition 56 would result in legislators losing pay for every day the budget is late.

Susan Green, president of the Chico chapter of the CFA and a professor at Chico State, said the CFA supports Proposition 56. Green, who was at the press conference, said the California State University system is disrupted in many ways when the budget isn ‘t passed on time.

Among other things, Green said it affects enrollment planning, budget planning and student financial aid.

For professors, Green said a late budget means they will get paid minimum wage and won ‘t know what courses they will teach until a couple of weeks before school starts. She said this leaves professors with little time to plan.

As for students, Green said their financial aid is late or reduced and courses they need are canceled, making it difficult to plan for graduation.

Nick Sanabria, a first-year student at Chico State, said he didn ‘t know anything about Proposition 56 until he attended the press conference.

“I went because Dr. Green offered five points extra credit for going,” Sanabria said. “But I learned so much.”

Sanabria, 18, said he ‘s in favor of Proposition 56 because he ‘s suffered the consequences of a late budget.

“I ‘ve been at schools where courses have been canceled,” Sanabria said. “I ‘m sure everybody has. And it ‘s ridiculous. It ‘s time for (legislators) to take responsibility and make a decision on time. If they don ‘t, then they shouldn ‘t be paid.”

Charles C. Turner, a political science professor who teaches state government, said the most important thing about Proposition 56 is that it reduces the two-thirds majority to a 55-percent majority. He said the two-thirds majority is the reason why the legislature is late in putting the budget out.

But Turner said lowering the majority needed to pass the budget is a concern for some.

“The main concern with this is that it ‘ll be easier to raise taxes,” Turner said.

Turner said there are also two other important propositions: Propositions 57 and 58. Proposition 57, the Economic Recovery Bond Act, is a $15 billion bond that will pay the deficit and will only be issued if Proposition 58, the California Balanced Budget Act, is also approved.

He said that while these two are separate propositions on the ballot, they are tied together and they could be a burden if they don ‘t pass.

“The way the governor has approached it is that if they don ‘t pass then there will be an additional cut to the budget,” Turner said. “So that means there will be a 15-percent cut on top of the estimated cuts.”

Turner said he thinks all of the propositions are a good idea.

The CFA also supports Propositions 57 and 58, but strongly supports Proposition 56.

“If the budget is passed on time, then we ‘ll know up front what ‘s going to happen, and it ‘ll be a lot easier for everyone,” Green said.

<em>Gitzel Vargas can be reached at <a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a></em>