?Anon(ymous)? to take on ?The Odyssey? at Wismer Theatre

Lindsay Woychick

“Anon(ymous),” a Chico State department of theatre arts production, will combine immigration and personal discovery in a post modern depiction of Homer’s “The Odyssey” on April 10 at Wismer Theatre.

Written by Naomi Iizuka, the play is about Southeast Asian refugee “Anon” and his journey to find his mother and himself in the United States. These two things are equally challenging for him in the new world.

The play twists “The Odyssey” to fit post-modern society, touching on issues including immigration, murder, sex and slavery.

Director Susan Hargrave Pate from the theatre arts department, choreographed the play, which incorporates movement and sound to tell the story.

“Anon(ymous)” uses props, miming and sound integration to bring the audience closer to the piece, she said.

This is a pivotal part in the storytelling of this multicultural play. Songs are important scene setters.

“It is lovely when a sound designer can give you environment,” Pate said.

Sound may contribute to the environment, but movement brings “Anon(ymous)” to life.

After directing more than 50 Chico State productions, Pate found this one to be particularly special because of its use of movement on stage, she said. Pate teaches several classes devoted to this &- including movement for actors, acting and dance productions &- on campus and has incorporated them into the play.

Chico State junior Korey Emslie will be using both his mind and body for his leading role as Anon.

The play has been a physically challenging experience for the cast, Emslie said. Lifting props and cast members, “Anon(ymous)” requires him to be physically fit.

The amount of movement and action is something Emslie thinks viewers will appreciate, he said.

“It allows you as an actor and audience to engage in a really physical way,” Emslie said.

As a theatre arts major, Emslie has previously taken classes from Pate that focus on movement, he said. These classes have helped him prepare for the role, which he had an early interest in.

“When I first read this play last semester, it seemed really attractive,” Emslie said.

The 17 cast members for the production not only worked to learn script, but also studied parallels between “Anon(ymous)” and the “The Odyssey.” In this way, play preparation required research, Emslie said. He studied Middle Eastern conflicts, ideas and culture and used this study to understand the cultural differences Anon would feel immigrating to the U.S.

Like Emslie, fellow cast member Allegra Williams studied for her role.

For Williams, the play shows the positive side of immigration and has given her a greater sense of global awareness.

“I really enjoy the experience and growing,” Williams said. “This whole thing is just a learning experience and gaining more awareness of what’s going on.”

As Anon goes on his journey to find himself, the audience will embark on one as well. Through sound, movement and serious topics, “Anon(ymous)” is expected to be food-for-thought to its audience.

Lindsay Woychick can be reached at<a href= “javascript:void(location.href=’mailto:’+String.fromCharCode(108,119,111,121,99,104,105,99,107,64,116,104,101,111,114,105,111,110,46,99,111,109)+’?subject=re%3A%20%E2%80%98Anon(ymous)%E2%80%99%20to%20take%20on%20%E2%80%98The%20Odyssey%E2%80%99%20at%20Wismer%20Theatre’)”>[email protected]</a>