Bluegrass band chirps for children

unnamed.jpg
John Reischman and The Jaybirds. Photo Courtesy of Mike Melnyk.

John Reischman and The Jaybirds are flying back into town on April 4 for a benefit concert supported by the California Bluegrass Association.

The concert will raise funds for both the CBA’s Youth Academy, a summer camp for children who want to learn the art of bluegrass music, and for the annual Father’s Day Bluegrass Festival in Grass Valley.

Bluegrass is a musical style all its own and John Reischman and The Jaybirds have been featured in both Bluegrass Unlimited and Sing Out! magazines as leaders in this unique, grass-roots style.

Each individual artist has enough talent to be considered the best of the best, but together they “produce music that is seamlessly excellent and rewarding,” as reported by Sing Out! magazine.

Each band member has a unique beginning that helps them bring fresh perspectives to their music.

Reischman, mandolin player and frontman for the band, began in the Chico area and attended Butte College.

Jim Nunally, the guitarist, hails from the San Francisco Bay Area. He is also a songwriter and appeared with Reischman on the Grammy Award-winning CD “True Life Blues.”

Trisha Gagnon, a vocalist and bassist from Chilliwack, British Columbia, has been featured in multiple magazines for her soulful and heartfelt vocals and bass pairing.

Nick Hornbuckle, a Nanaimo, British Columbia-based banjo player, is known for his unique take on the five-string banjo. It is solely his own, among many other contemporary players.

Washington fiddler Greg Spatz has been praised in Fiddler magazine as a “world-class bluegrass fiddler.”

The concert will be held at 7:30 p.m. April 4 at the Trinity United Methodist Church. Doors open at 7 p.m.

Tickets are available at the door and a donation of $15 is requested. Seating is first come first serve.

Veronica Hodur can be reached at [email protected] or @VeronicaHodur on Twitter.