• 2023-24 Chico State men’s golf team in front of Kendall Hall. Courtesy: Jason Haley/Chico State photographer

Chico State men’s golf prepares for upcoming conference championship

• Elodie, played by Millie Bobby Brown, in the March 8 Netflix release of “Damsel.” Courtesy: Allied Global Marketing/Netflix

He said, she said: ‘Damsel’

• Romani Wedding - Photo Courtesy of Efigenia Galea.

‘My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding:’ A shallow depiction of the Roma community

One-acts lingers after curtains close

unnamed-1.jpg
Chico State’s School of the Arts presents the student directed Donna Stone Breed Memorial One-Acts, at 7:30 p.m April 10-12, with a matinee performance at 2 p.m. on April 13. Photo Courtesy of Chico School of the Arts and Joe Paul DiMaggio.

Chico State’s School of the Arts presents the 2014 Donna Stone Breed Memorial One-Acts, titled “Turned Around.”

The performance consists of four one-act plays, directed and performed by talented Chico State theater students and will run 7:30 p.m. Friday through Saturday with a final show at 2 p.m. on Sunday in Larry Wismer Theatre.

Each of the plays is engaging and thought-provoking, drawing on themes such as religion, mental illness, war and the effects of 9-11.

In the first act, titled “The Enemy,” a writer learns more than he expected to from a man that he interviews.

The second act, titled “Specter,” follows the conversation between an uptight man and an uninhibited, eccentric young woman that are stranded together.

The third act is a tense scene between a distressed couple that experiences a possibly dangerous situation in the night.

The final act follows the thought processes of a young man and an older woman who are attracted to each other, despite what they believe to be right.

The acting in each performance is top-notch.

One-act plays require the actors to carry out the whole story in one scene without missing a beat.

Each of the actors carry their respective scenes with immense energy and talent, keeping the audience engaged throughout the act.

The set and lighting create a three-dimensional atmosphere, allowing the audience to be immersed in the acts.

Anyone interested in seeing an intelligent play with powerful acting does not want to miss this show.

Sarah Scharf can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.