• The student health center is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays, and is closed for an hour each day from noon to 1 p.m. Courtesy: WellCat Health Center, taken by Jason Halley/University Photographer

Healthcare for students anytime, anywhere: all the WellCat has to offer

• Second Street from the B Line bus station. Taken by Maki Chapman on Feb. 28.

Backsliding on alcohol rules, or maybe moving forward

• Staff Members of the Black Youth Leadership Project 
Left-Right: Pamela Irby, Laniea LaGarde, Quinessa Stibbins, Laila Anderson, Candy Jackson, Keila Lee, Brandon Trowel

Community leadership project aims to uplift Black youth 

• Jason Rabinowitz, secretary-treasurer of Local 2010, addresses Unit 6 workers ahead of the ratification vote. Photo taken from Teamsters 2010 Flickr account.

Teamsters Local 2010 tentative agreement to be voted on by CSU Board of Trustees

• Multiple cars populate the campus lot where a vehicle was burglarized Wednesday morning. Taken by Ariana Powell on Feb. 28.

UPD arrest 2 vehicle burglary suspects; stolen property recovered

Chico State files lawsuit against PG&E

Lawsuit cover sheet
Lawsuit cover sheet

Chico State is suing Pacific Gas and Electric to recover costs from an environmental cleanup the university performed during the construction of the WildCat Recreation Center.

From 1874 to 1928, the Chico Manufactured Gas Plant on West Second Street generated tars, sludge and powdered carbon that were often left onsite, according to the lawsuit.

Chico State claims that contamination found in the soil at the WREC construction site, a hundred feet north of the plant, was a result of the disposal of byproducts generated by the gas plant.

The university spent $2,369,000 cleaning up 1,037.64 tons of contaminated soil.

Chico State’s alleges its damages include:

• property damage
  • restoration costs
  • delay damages
  • property devaluation

PG&E; cleaned debris and the aftereffects from the plant’s contamination and received a certificate of completion from the Department of Toxic and Substance Control, said Jeff Smith, a spokesman for the company. PG&E; acquired the plant in 1905. Most gas manufacturing plants were shut down by 1930.

“We successfully completed a cleanup from July 2006 to July of 2010,” Smith said. “We removed 3,500 tons of soil.”

PG&E and Chico State have been in negotiations to see whether or not PG&E; bears some responsibility to Chico State’s portion of the cleanup, Smith said.

“We will continue to work with Chico State to amicably resolve any pending issues,” he said.

Chico State is not able to comment on the lawsuit at this time, Lori Hoffman wrote in an email to The Orion.

Ernesto Rivera can be reached at [email protected] or @ernestorivera on Twitter.