Local sisters cater to therapeutic food needs

Christina Saschin

DSCN5631.JPG

Megan, left, and Molly Rzepecki, the sisters behind local catering company TherapEATic Catering, take a break from cooking for 1078 Gallery's December Mixed Media Mixer event Sunday. Photo credit: Christina Saschin

Sisters Molly and Megan Rzepecki look at food from a different perspective than just something that fuels their bodies.

“Our main motto is to create feel-good comfort food so even people with diet restrictions can enjoy it,” Megan said.

Growing up, cooking and entertainment was prominent in the Rzepecki household because the sister’s mother would cook and host gatherings. That is how Molly developed a passion for culinary art.

It was always in the back of the sisters’ minds to go into business together. Last November, they founded TherapEATic catering in Chico and have gone more public with the company since summer.

Molly is the chef, and has the talent and creative background when it comes to cooking. Megan is the prep cook, and has an eye for aesthetics, look and design.

“We get along as sisters and are best friends, but from a business standpoint, we do disagree,” Megan said.

Molly said that when creating new recipes, they don’t always see eye to eye since they think differently and have different priorities when thinking of the end result. But this seems to be a good partnership for the pair, since they keep each other balanced with ideas.

The company caters private events, teaches cooking classes and offers box lunches, frozen meals and specialized supper club menus for themed social gatherings at private homes.

The most memorable food item TherapEATic Catering has made is bacon, apple and Brie rolls, Molly said. The food can be described as homestyle cooking with a modern flair that is accommodating to those with dietary food restrictions.

cuban sandwich.jpg

One of TherapEATic Catering's staple dishes is its Cuban sandwich. Photo courtesy of Molly and Megan Rzepecki

Eventually, the pair’s goal is to expand into a therapeutic culinary arts business.

“The art-making process is therapeutic in-and-of itself,” Molly said. “Art can be healing, inspire change and encourage growth.”

The idea of healing through the arts is not a new idea. Equine therapy, adventure therapy and culinary therapy are some examples of how people can engage with art or the outdoors to gain self-confidence or cope with anxiety or depression.

The pair is also interested in catering for causes. In October, the company catered at 1078 Gallery for a Halloween benefit concert for Crohn’s Disease.

appetizers.jpg

At 1078 Gallery's Halloween benefit concert for Crohn's Disease, TherapEATic Catering served mini appetizers like teriyaki skewers and southwest bagels and goat cheese. Photo courtesy of Molly and Megan Rzepecki

Molly and Megan hope to continue working at benefit events and put on their own fundraiser for child hunger within the next year. Until then, they will be at 1078 Gallery’s Mixed Media Mixer events the first Sunday of every month.

“Eventually, we want our business to include therapy sessions through the art of cooking,” Molly said. “Cooking isn’t just a chore or for substance. It can be therapeutic, calming and artistic.”

DSCN5621.JPG

Molly Rzepecki makes pulled pork sandwiches at 1078 Gallery for its December Mixed Media Mixer event Sunday. Photo credit: Christina Saschin

Christina Saschin can be reached at [email protected] or @Stina127 on Twitter.