• Traffic-jam resulted from accident involving three vehicles. Taken by C. Nicholas Kepler on Feb. 27.

Traffic accident causes jam in Downtown Chico

• Rapper Yung Lexx rapping at the Victory in Union event. Taken by Samuel Moore on Feb. 25.

‘Victory in Unity’ event celebrates Black History Month

• Chico State freshman Michael Baker following his first home run of the 2024 season. Photograph taken by Will G. MacNeil.

Chico State baseball splits conference opening series against Cal Poly Pomona

• A driver failed to yield, hitting another vehicle which collided with a parked car in Chico Sunday evening.

Chico man arrested for sexually explicit messages to 11-year-old

Reginald Ealy Jr., arrested for sexually explicit messages and photos sent to minor. Photo courtesy of Chico Police DepartmentReginald Ealy Jr., a Chico resident, was arrested Wednesday for allegedly sending sexually explicit photos and messages to an 11-year-old girl via Facebook.

The inappropriate messages and photos were discovered by the 11-year-old girl’s older sister, who called the police to report the situation.

Police found out Ealy did not know the victim but followed her on Facebook and began communicating with her through messages. Most of the conversation content was sexual, according to police.

“Once the girl was removed from the situation, detectives took over the girl’s social media account and began talking to Ealy while posing as the girl,” said a Chico Police Department officer.

While detectives messaged back and forth with Ealy, it became clear that the man wanted to meet with the victim with the intent of sexually molesting her, according to a press release from the Chico Police Department. He was taken into custody around 7:15 p.m. the same day.

Ealy was arrested for sending sexually explicit material to a minor and intending to seduce her, as well as intending to commit a sexual offense with a minor.

Ealy was booked into the Butte County Jail with a bail of $30,000.

Hannah Suzuki can be reached at [email protected] or @hannahsuzuiki22