Chico State hosts 25 events for FFA field day

University-Farm.jpg
University Farm held the 47th annual FFA Field Day on Saturday. Photo courtesy Chico State

Chico State’s College of Agriculture hosted its 47th Annual California Statewide National FFA Organization Field Day on Saturday where high school students participated in various contests from identifying plants to working with welding.

The college teamed up with the Agriculture Natural Resources Department at Butte Community College and invited all members of FFA to participate in the event.

Over 1,000 high school students from across the state came together at University Farm to compete.

According to a press release, the event offered 25 different contests that ranged from agriculture mechanics, pest control, welding, livestock judging, poultry judging, and a contest to see who can best identify various plants which had almost 200 participants.

At the end of the day an awards ceremony was held in The Pavilion for all of the participants and their schools.

“The event is important because Chico is an agricultural town,” Gary Nelson said. “It features a local student who won a competition, and because the University is mentoring the next generation of agricultural students.”

Katherine Feaster can be reached at [email protected] or @katfeaster on Twitter.