Health festival highlights resources like free condoms, cheaper medications

healthWeb.jpg
Chico State students Travis McNiff, left, Guadalupe Gomez and Alexis Green table at the “Just For the Health of It!” wellness festival on Thursday to offer information about the Stonewall Alliance Center’s youth programs. Photo credit: George Johnston

The Student Health Center offers students up to 10 free condoms a day if they just stop by and show their ID card.

Health benefits like this that come along with attending Chico State were explained to students by multiple organizations on Thursday in the UHUB courtyard.

Put on by the Student Health Advisory Council, “Just For the Health of It!” is an event organized to try and educate students on the health resources available to them through the university and in the Chico community.

Targeted for mainly first-years and underclassmen, the council hopes the festival raises awareness about the health services available, said Adan Osoria, president and coordinator of the event.

“We just want them to utilize it because they do pay for it in their tuition,” Osoria said. “They’re underutilized.”

The council is looking for student feedback so that it can improve the services offered to students, Osoria said.

Among the other groups taking part was the Campus Alcohol and Drug Education Center, which had a demonstration showing how much sugar was in different alcoholic beverages. CalFresh, the state food stamp program, helped students find out if they were eligible for their program.

Greek organizations also participated in the event. Delta Xi Phi Multicultural Sorority Inc. educated students on five different forms of cancer for its philanthropy the American Cancer Society. Sigma Omega Phi Multicultural Sorority Inc. also participated by bringing awareness to students of their philanthropy Child Abuse and Neglect Awareness and how that relates to mental health and wellness.

Women’s Health Specialists also had a booth which provided information about the testing and treatments, birth control methods, women’s and men’s health services, adoption services and emergency contraception they offer.

The Wildcat Recreation Center offered exercise tips as well as a free fuego dance demonstration put on every 20 minutes during the event. The dances were led by WREC fuego instructor Rachel Kerce.

The Stonewall Alliance Center booth offered students insight into its program SAYes!, which offers group meetings for people from the ages of 14-29. Other meetings include discussion on topics such as safe-talk, spectrums, ally-zone and transgender issues.

The Pre-Pharmacy Club informed students of the many resources that are offered by the Student Health Services pharmacy, such as over-the-counter medicine that is offered at a rate cheaper than at stores like Walgreens and Wal-Mart, Osoria said.

St. Baldrick’s Foundation also had a booth promoting its upcoming head-shaving event, which helps fund childhood cancer research grants.

Many booths gave out prizes and candies to participants and helped educate onlookers on all of the nearby resources that students may not be aware of.

“Just for the Health of It!” is put on every year in the spring by the Health Advisory Council.

Event turnout was good, Osoria said. Some middle school students even stopped by to play some games that booths were offering.

The Student Health Advisory Council hopes that events like these will help students to incorporate healthier practices into their daily routines, Osoria said.

Kristina Martinez can be reached at newseditor@theorion or @kristinacsuc on Twitter.