Duffy’s Wing Fling brings new excitement to classic bar

Duffy's Tavern in downtown Chico, where the contest will take place. Photo credit: Aurora Evans

On Super Bowl Sunday, Duffy’s will open its doors to the football fans and wing-lovers of Chico during the first annual Super Bowl Sunday Wing Fling.

“The ‘Wing Fling’ is basically a revival of the chili cook-off that we had here for years,” said Steve Swim, a consultant at Duffy’s Tavern. “We thought it would be a great way to get people back.”

duffys1_web.gif

Steve Swim, Wing Fling creator and Duffy’s consultant. Photo credit: Aurora Evans

On Feb. 7, Super Bowl Sunday, contestants will bring two dozen wings, cooked properly and up to health code standards. Once at the event, a panel of local judges, including Jeremy Votava, radio personality for Zrock, will judge the wings based on their texture, moistness, flavor and creativity.

“It’ll be prepared by government guidelines, and if contestants don’t have access to restaurant, we have access to places they can use,” Swim said.

Anyone who attends the event will get to enjoy the wings – at no cost. At halftime, the contestant who comes out on top will be announced. There are prizes for first, second and third place. The contest is limited to 10 entries, and as of Friday, Jan. 29, only three slots are available.

One Chico local, Deseray Thomas, hopes to put unique flavor into her wings with an all Paleo diet friendly recipe.

duffys2_web.gif

Deseray Thomas will compete in the contest. Photo Courtesy of Deseray Thomas.

“I try to make everything I eat from scratch,” Thomas said. “A lot of the hot sauces that are used (for wings) have a lot of excess sugar and things. I am basically going to create my own Siracha sauce, I’m making it fresh.”

Thomas, who works as a nutrition coach in Chico, said that often people get the wrong idea about the Paleo diet.

“I know a lot of people who have this impression about Paleo being bland or boring, but Paleo food can actually be some of the most flavorful,” Thomas said.

Thomas hopes to show people just how much of a punch the Paleo wings will deliver at the contest.

This weekend, Duffy’s hopes to bring back some regulars, and lure in a new crowd with the event. The bar hopes that the community will come out for some good food and fun, regardless of their sports involvement.

“What’s funny about the Duffy’s community, including myself, is that we may not be the biggest sports fans,” Swim said. “But the Super Bowl is kind of its own thing, a lot of people are there for the commercials, or a side bet, and it’s more of a camaraderie, an excuse to get together and have fun.”

The “Wing Fling” is open to anyone over 21, and will begin at 2 p.m. For more information, you can view the event Facebook page.

Sarah Strausser can be reached at [email protected] or @strausser_sarah on Twitter.