Performance art hugging Chico State

Performance art hugging Chico State

Artist Cameron Kelly discusses her interactive art piece. Photo credit: Jeremy Steele

Jeremy Steele

Outside Meriam Library, a neon, huggable, and sound making blanket of art stood for one night on the bulky concrete support. The piece, Hug Your Center: Keep the Light On, was designed by teacher Cameron Kelly. It was part of a week-long event that began on Chico State’s campus on March 21.

The interactive and playful performance art aims to reimagine the role of banal objects and societal norms.

“The objective was to invite people to hug this institution, the library,” Kelly said. “With that in mind, I designed this to be as inviting, as comfy, as soft, as possible.”

The public art is part of a presentation by the University Art Gallery that includes three more public art explorations throughout campus and an artist panel discussion with artists Cameron Kelly, Trevor Lalaguna, Raphael Noz, and Melissa Wyman. The panel is moderated by Rachel Middleman and takes place on March 24.

Jeremy Steele can be reached at [email protected] or @jaysteele619 on Twitter.