Safe Place launches ‘Prevention is Possible’ campaign

Safe Space on campus hopes to focus on sexual assault awareness. Photo courtesy of National Sexual Violence Resource Center.

This month, Safe Place takes a new approach to preventing sexual assault. April is the month dedicated to raising awareness about sexual assault.

Most years the emphasis is on survivors and ways to avoid sexual assault situations. This year, Safe Place, Chico State’s support program and advocate for survivors, is taking a new approach.

In an effort to prevent sexual assault, the focus is on the perpetrators of these crimes. The campaign is called “Prevention is Possible.”

“The more we focus on victims and survivors as the ‘be all’ to prevention, the further away from prevention we are, because that completely erases perpetrators from the picture,”said Alex Brown, Safe Place advocate and administrator.

The next event will be an open house of Safe Place held on April 11. Call 530-898-3030 for more details.

Dates and times for other upcoming events can be found on Safe Place’s website.

Eric Couderc McGuire can be reached at [email protected] or@ericcoudercmcg on Twitter.