• Meet The Orions fall 2024 editorial board. Collage created by Ariana Powell on May 8 using Pixlr.

Meet The Orion’s fall 2024 editorial board!

• President Perez shaking the hand of Taylor Bisby as she receives her Masters degree. Taken by Jessica Miller on May 15

Chico State celebrates Graduate Studies Commencement

• Live from the World Contamination Tour. Photo taken by Penny Howle and courtesy My Chemical Romance.

An alt-girl’s origin story: emo beginnings

• Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Congrats to The Orion graduates!

• Chico State, David Stachura. Photo credit Chico State

A final wrap up of Stachura

Chico State hosts Take Back the Night

A student reads a personal poem about sexual abuse at the Take Back the Night event on Thursday. Photo credit: Josiah Nicholl

Take Back the Night, an event meant to raise awareness of sexual abuse, took place Thursday from 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. at the Bell Memorial Union (BMU).

The event marked the end of Take Back the Night week, which started on Monday and brought awareness to issues with sexual abuse, rape, substance abuse, and suicide.

Take Back the Night is meant to bring students together and give them a safe place to share and discuss sensitive topics that often relate to things they’ve experienced or things people close to them have experienced.

During the event, students gathered at BMU before splitting off into different groups at seven. At eight, students reconvened and some read stories and poems that they personally wrote to the audience, with themes relating to depression, substance abuse and sexual abuse.

The event wrapped up at 10 p.m. and was the last scheduled event for Take Back the Night week.

Josiah Nicholl can be reached at [email protected] or @josiah_theorion on Twitter.