• Photo of the Notice of Investigative Outcome letters issued to Delta Chi and Lambda Sigma Gamma taken by Molly Myers, Feb. 24, 2024.

Hazing documents revealed: Chico State warns against unrecognized Greek organizations

• Collage of restaurants in downtown Chico. Created by Jessica Miller, Feb. 24.

OK, where can we eat in 30 minutes?

• A group of raised hands against a blue background. Created by Ariana Powell on Feb. 23.

CSUEU, non-academic student assistants to unionize

• A person ducks under the fallen tree on the Warner Street pedestrian bridge. Taken by Molly Myers Feb. 21

Pedestrian bridge closed due to fallen tree

• An unlabeled food truck sits awaiting customers. Image by Andreas Volz from Pixabay.

On-campus food trucks have revolutionized Wildcat eating

Chico State Alumnus talks web tech and Javascript

When learning how to code, HTML and CCS markup language and the beginning steps before getting into JavaScript and more advanced coding development programs. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

A Computer Science seminar series was hosted by The College of Engineering, Computer Science and Construction. Eric Mellum, a 2015 Chico State alumnus, presented on development coding and job opportunities within the field at the talk on Friday.

Mellum currently works for the startup company, Quartzy, and has experience working for two other biotech startup companies. Mellum says he tries to return to Chico State each semester to give a tech talk.

“I think being a recent graduate who has found jobs makes me a little bit more relevant,” Mellum said. “I like (students) knowing that anybody can do it.”

mellumOPT.jpg
Chico State Alumnus, Eric Mellum, gave the science seminar on web development Friday. Mellum currently works at Quartzy in Palo Alto and often comes back to Chico to give technology talks to current computer science students. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

Mellum presented practical software engineering techniques and programs to majors and non-majors alike. He spoke on web development, specifically the program JavaScript, and how being familiar with it can boost the chance of landing a job after graduation.

“JavaScript is what allows you to respond to the user’s interactions on a web page,” Mellum said. Research has shown that there are not enough JavaScript developers in the market Mellum also added.

“There is no foreseeable shortage of jobs and opportunities in the land of JavaScript,” he said.

“It’s relevant to a computer science student who either doesn’t know exactly what they want to do, or they want to know there’s a job out there for them,” Mellum said. He added that anyone can learn and benefit from JavaScript, especially with the web becoming an increasingly “global marketplace.”

Olyvia Simpson can be reached at [email protected] or @OSimpson15 on Twitter.