• A girl and her dog enjoy the blue cloudy skies and fresh air on a walk in Cannonville, Utah, appreciating the beauty of nature and calming energy it brings. Taken by Ava Aragon on July 29, 2023.

10 ways to celebrate Earth Day

• Photo of Katie Callahan, who ran the event. An art history major in her senior year, she is the single student employed by Wellcat Safe Place. Taken on April 18th, 2024

Affirmative consent: What is it?

COCO’s Creepy Carnival

Different residence hall communities worked together to create a spooky experience for students during CoCo’s Creepy Carnival on Halloween night Photo credit: Brian Luong

The Community Council of University Housing hosted a Creepy Carnival on Halloween for all the students to attend. All students had to do was show their Wildcat ID card to get a wristband. From there they were free to partake in all the activities COCO had set up.

Although the event welcomed all students, it was directed more to first year students since this is their first year away from home.

“We held this event to provide a safe and fun way for students to enjoy Halloween” Interim Associate Director of University Housing Denise Crosswhite said.

The carnival offered treats like cotton candy, popcorn and a chocolate fountain station.

Optimized-0.jpg
Maury Montalvo serves popcorn in costume during CoCo’s Creepy Carnival on Halloween night. Photo credit: Brian Luong

There were three tables with activities—each one representing the Chico State dorms. The north campus table was Harry Potter themed, and had three cauldrons where students would stick their hand in to find candy. The Whitney Hall table had an interactive photo booth for students to take photos. Lastly, the University Village had a glow ring toss where students could win donuts.

Optimized-0.png

A first year student, Juliana Williams, English Major (17), attended the carnival as an alternative to going out.

“I prefer to not to go out because I heard it’s not very safe—so this is a good alternative to do on Halloween,” Williams said.

The event went on from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

This was the first year of COCO’s Creepy Carnival. In past years, the Halloween events were held in The Hub, but due to changes in fire safety laws, they had to change it up and take it outside instead. The Hub was still open for students to go in and watch a spooky movie.

Yaritza Ayon can be reached at [email protected] or @ayon_yaritza on Twitter.