Playlist: 11 songs from talented LGBTQ+ musicians

As a queer woman, I often relate more to music made by queer artists.

I jam out to many songs made by folks outside of the LGBTQ+ community as well, but these songs and artists hold a special place in my heart. No matter what you identify as, I invite you to listen to these songs along with me and support these amazing queer artists.

1. Talia – King Princess

I apologize for starting out with a song as heartbreaking as this one, but it’s easily one of my favorite songs of all time. King Princess hasn’t released a full studio album yet but is already smashing traditional gender roles in her music and music videos.

2. Pynk – Janelle Monáe

Yes, a song about vaginas and queer sexuality brought to us by the lovely Janelle Monáe. You’re very welcome. Also, check out how much fun everybody is having in the music video!

3. Butterfly – Kehlani

Kehlani is known for past LGBTQ hits such as her song “Honey,” but I’ve been vibing with her recently dropped mixtape “While We Wait.” This song is what I would consider the most soulful song she’s produced up to date.

4. American Pie – Shea Diamond

Shea Diamond truly is a hidden gem. While desperately trying to find financial means to transition into a woman, she committed a crime that she was incarcerated 10 years for. In prison, she found a community who shared her transgender experiences and helped her find her voice as an artist. Since her release, she has been recording songs that discuss what it’s like to be a trans woman of color in the United States.

5. Hayley Kiyoko – Sleepover

Can Netflix make a lesbian romantic comedy featuring Hayley Kiyoko? That is all.

6. HIM – Sam Smith

Sam’s powerful voice combined with a powerful message. This song hits the nail on the head for any LGBTQ+ person tussling with their relationship with religion.

7. Hope There’s Someone – Antony and the Johnsons

The lead singer of this band, Anohni, is revered by Rolling Stone as one of the most successful and influential transgender people in the music industry.

Every time I listen to this song, I find myself blankly staring up at the ceiling while it plays on repeat.

8. girls – girl in red

This song is chill and cute, what else could you need?

9. You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) – Sylvester

What’s a good playlist without a disco legend? It was hard being gay in the 70s, but regardless, Sylvester was out there being unapologetically himself.

10. Sick of Losing Soulmates – dodie

The ultimate sad songs always come from LGBTQ+ artists. I suggest you grab a box of tissues before listening to this one.

11. Pussy is God – King Princess

Am I allowed to publish this? This song is iconic, catchy and I find myself listening to it far more than I’d like to admit. Also, the music video looks like a 12-year-old got ahold of a camera and a green screen. King Princess gets a second mention because her creations are truly treasures to experience.

Rayanne Painter can be reached at [email protected] or @rayphenomenon on Twitter.