• Meet The Orions fall 2024 editorial board. Collage created by Ariana Powell on May 8 using Pixlr.

Meet The Orion’s fall 2024 editorial board!

• President Perez shaking the hand of Taylor Bisby as she receives her Masters degree. Taken by Jessica Miller on May 15

Chico State celebrates Graduate Studies Commencement

• Live from the World Contamination Tour. Photo taken by Penny Howle and courtesy My Chemical Romance.

An alt-girl’s origin story: emo beginnings

• Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Congrats to The Orion graduates!

New art exhibit celebrates faculty artists

“Three Over Four/Compator” by Michael David Hall, curated by Sheri Simmons. Courtesy of the Janet Turner Print Museum. Photo credit: Danielle Kessler

The Janet Turner Print Museum has a new collection, “Drawn In-By Hand,” which includes pieces curated by various art professors at Chico State.

The intention of this exhibit is to show each instructor’s own diverse teaching philosophy while also expressing the importance of drawing for printmakers and for artists of all kinds.

“Basically, they teach in the foundation area in the Art department, so what they did is they chose works of art from the collection, that visualized their teaching philosophy,” said Catherine Sullivan, the museum’s main curator.

Sullivan explained that the art pieces were chosen because “they most clearly give you the variety of drawing and the emphasis in the drawing area that that particular instructor wanted to see.”

IMG_1921.jpg
Artwork curated from J. Pouwels, titled, "Executive Monkey" by artist Rick Beerhorst. Courtesy of the Janet Turner Print Museum. Photo credit: Danielle Kessler

Faculty guest curators include Sheri Simmons, Trevor Lalaguna and J. Pouwels, with each instructor showcasing their own values as an art professor. For example, Simmons, a professor in sculpture and drawing, focused her collection on the idea that even the simplest of drawings can represent more about the state of the subject itself.

The exhibit contains many print drawings from different artists including the work of Christo Vladimir Javacheff, as curated by the featured faculty artists.

IMG_1909 (2).jpg
"Go Up to the Zoological Garden" by Jack Coughlin, curated by Trevor Lalaguna. Courtesy of the Janet Turner Print Museum. Photo credit: Danielle Kessler

Sullivan also explained that what makes the art department on campus different from other departments is “the artists that teach are also continually practicing themselves.” This makes the emphasis on their teaching philosophies especially compelling to art students and art lovers alike.

“For most artists, whether or not they are graphically inclined or going to be painters, the ability to draw is part of refining your ideas,” Sullivan said about the importance of drawing as a basic skill for anyone in the department. The basis of the exhibit is truly to focus on the idea that drawing is a fundamental learning process for anyone, artist or not.

IMG_1919.jpg
"Wrapped Armchair" by Christo Vladimir Javacheff, curated by J. Pouwels. Courtesy of the Janet Turner Print Museum. Photo credit: Danielle Kessler

In addition to the exhibit art, there are other print works on display, including art by Stockton artist, Kara Walker and of course the late Janet Turner.

To find dates and times the exhibit is open for viewing and scheduled presentations from the showcased artists, visit The Janet Turner Print Museum’s website.

Danielle Kessler can be reached at [email protected] or @reserv0irpups on Twitter.