• Meet The Orions fall 2024 editorial board. Collage created by Ariana Powell on May 8 using Pixlr.

Meet The Orion’s fall 2024 editorial board!

• President Perez shaking the hand of Taylor Bisby as she receives her Masters degree. Taken by Jessica Miller on May 15

Chico State celebrates Graduate Studies Commencement

PG&E to shut off power to thousands Wednesday

Photo credit: Julian Mendoza

Over 303,000 Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) customers in 25 counties are expected to lose power Wednesday morning due to high winds and dry conditions. This is being done, according to PG&E, in order to ensure no fire breaks out due to downed power lines.

The outage is currently expected to affect only a small part of Chico, with most of Deer Creek Hwy leading up to Forest Ranch being the only affected area, as well as the majority of Paradise and the ridge, according to a news release.

According to PG&E, these high winds are expected to return to safe levels Thursday morning. Before power can be restored, PG&E crew members must inspect the de-powered lines in order to ensure that it is safe to do so. Once the safety of the lines can be ensured, power will begin to be restored to the affected areas, with the goal being full power restoration by the end of the day on Thursday.

While the shut-off is most likely to happen, there is still a chance that PG&E will decide not to cut power in certain areas, based on weather conditions.

“There is considerable uncertainty regarding the strength, timing and humidity levels associated with this weather system” said PG&E in a statement.

If you think you may be in a location affected by the power shutoff, there is an interactive map on PG&E’s website that provides the exact location and info regarding the shutoff.

Jack Lewis can be reached at [email protected].