Symposium celebrates student composers, 10th anniversary

sqwonk.jpg
Sqwonk, the virtuoso bass clarinet duo, will present their unique take on chamber music on Feb. 28 as part of the “New Music Symposium.” Photo courtesy of the School of the Arts.

Chico State students and community members are welcome to attend the annual “New Music Symposium” held in Alfred Loeffler’s honor for free during its three-day showcase of events highlighting contemporary music.

The Symposium will kick-off with the Student Composers Concert on Thursday, Feb. 27 at 7:30 p.m., followed by a performance by guest artists and bass clarinet duo Sqwonk on Friday, Feb. 28 at 7:30p.m.

The last performance, on March 1, will feature Chico’s own Pull-String Duo performing an original, live score to “The Golem,” a silent film released in 1920.

All performances will occur in the Rowland-Taylor Recital Hall in the Performing Arts Center on the Chico State campus.

This year the “New Music Symposium” marks 10 years of offering a one-of-a-kind experience to the Chico community to attend free showings of new and innovative music performances created by young composers.

In addition to the scheduled performances, local band Sqwonk will be offering a master class to composition and clarinet students on Feb. 28 at a time and place yet to be determined.

For more information, visit the School of the Arts’s website.

Maegan Webster can be reached at [email protected] or @mae_dictionary on Twitter.