Americana harmonies amaze cafe audience

For anyone who loves bluegrass and Americana music, Mossy Creek delivers an energetic performance that really hits the spot.

The seven talented members of the band took the stage at Cafe Coda Saturday night.

The band consists of original members Pat Haley, who plays banjo, dobro and guitar, Kim Gimbal on bass, Christine Hogan on the fiddle, Bob Littell on harmonica and Chris Wenger on guitar.

Lead vocalist Tamara Allspaugh and and mandolin player Bob Kirkland are new additions to the band.

Mossy Creek features expert instrumentation and three-to-five part vocal harmonies, as well as powerhouse lead vocals from Allspaugh.

Each of the seven members contribute amazing talent to the group and they are nothing short of sensational together.

Mossy Creek stands out for their exceptionally tight sound. The band plays together so seamlessly you would think you were hearing a professional recording.

Mossy Creek shines live, playing off one another with fantastic energy, enthusiasm and a love for the music.

The atmosphere at Cafe Coda was fun all around. The audience had a great time singing along to some familiar songs by famous artists in addition to clapping and stomping to the band’s original material.

Mossy Creek plays concerts at wineries, festivals and other events in and around the Chico area, including Taste of Chico and events at the Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Mossy Creek was chosen as “Best Local Country/Bluegrass” in the inaugural Chico Area Music Awards in 2006.

In October of that same year, the band was invited to
perform at an after-hours showcase at the International Bluegrass Music
Association awards show in Nashville. Mossy Creek was one of only four
California bands invited for the honor.

The band has also won three Best of Chico awards in the Best Local Music Act category.

The band has been together for ten years since the beginning with the original members, and all of them are Chico locals, Haley said.

They started out as a bluegrass band, and eventually evolved towards a more Americana sound, Haley said.

Sam Miller, a junior exercise physiology major, enjoyed attending the show.

“I’m really glad I came out tonight,” Miller said. “Folk music is probably my favorite genre, and I love the harmonies in this band!”

Sarah Scharf can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.