• Pro-Palestine banners put up on Butte Hall by Students for Justice in Palestine. Photo taken May 1, 2024. Photo taken May 1, 2024 by Molly Myers.

Ceasefire campaign launches on campus, President Perez sends email on protests 

• A heavy police presence is in the area of Nord Avenue. Taken by Callum Standish on May 2.

Police apprehend suspect following stabbing in area of Nord Avenue

• Left Fielder Troy Kent taking a swing in the 5th inning. Taken by Aaron Draper.

Chico State baseball drops to 5th after a tough series against East Bay

• This is a 100% satirical article. Graphic generated by Ariana Powell using Adobe Firefly on April 25.

'The Big Dipper'

Black Plague on-campus: RUN!!!

• Molly Myers, managing editor of The Orion, sticks out her thumb on 9th street in Chico, California. Screenshot taken from The Orions video on hitchhiking.

Hitchhiking in Chico: a woman’s perspective on trust and adventure

CFA Chico chapter hosts a week of authorization vote-themed events

While most of the events are designed for faculty members, there are other ways students can show their support
Created by Ariana Powell on Oct. 23.

California Faculty Association members began their voting process on Saturday which will determine whether they will strike in the event the fact-finding session does not work.

The CFA Chico chapter has planned a week of events coinciding with the voting period, which ends Friday.

The calendar poster was created to spread the word about the California Faculty Association Chico chapter voting period events. Courtesy: Timothy Sistrunk

Monday

From 7 to 9 a.m., faculty members are invited to “Coffee with Colleagues” at Upper Crust Bakery and Cafe, at 130 Main St., to discuss anything and everything.

Coffee will be on the CFA Chico chapter.

Tuesday

There will be a voting booth available in the Gauntlet near the Science Building from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

CFA members who have not voted virtually can cast their votes at the booth. Only CFA members can vote.

Wednesday

The CFA Chico chapter will host a town hall-style meeting from noon to 1 p.m.

The meeting is open to anyone who wants more information on the bargaining process, possible strike and authorization vote. Faculty members, staff, students and other community members are welcome. 

Lunch will be provided. The building and room number have not yet been determined. The Orion will update the location when it’s released.

Thursday

The voting booth will return to the Gauntlet near the Science Building. Just as on Tuesday, any CFA members who have not yet voted can drop by the table and cast their vote.

The booth will be there from 2 to 4 p.m.

Friday

All faculty members are invited to Happy Hour at Argus, at 212 West Second St., from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.

The gathering will mark the end of the voting period as well as help build a sense of community, according to Timothy Sistrunk, professor and CFA Chico chapter president.

Students

While the majority of the CFA Chico chapter events are for faculty members, there are still plenty of things students can do to support them.

On social media, Lindsay Briggs, Chico State professor and CFA Chico chapter faculty rights co-chair, listed some actions students can take:

1. Tell your faculty you support them by emailing, visiting their office hours or speaking out in class
  2. Contact the California State University chancellor, Mildred Garcia, and let her know you support faculty members; she can be reached at [email protected] or 562-951-4700
  3. Contact California State legislators and ask them to direct Garcia to invest more funds into faculty salaries; since the primary source of CSU funding comes from the state
  4. If the majority of CFA members vote yes to strike, strike and protest alongside them

The CFA and CSU management are still in the midst of the fact-finding session. It is unknown when it will conclude.

Ariana Powell can be reached at [email protected] or [email protected]