The Orion

Explosive structure fire sends man to hospital

A fire erupted in a garage located at 1302 Dayton Road Wednesday. Photo credit: Tisha Cheney

Tisha Cheney

February 2, 2018

A man was hospitalized after an explosion set fire to a garage Wednesday.The incident took place on Dayton Road just after 1:30 p.m., according to the Chico Fire Department's incident report."The street garage just exploded," added the report.The fire was then fueled by oil, gas cans and other highly f...

City Council approves firefighters staffing request

Firefighter staffing issues, request of authorization for extra personnel.
Photo Courtesy of Bill Hack.

Alejandra Fraga

March 8, 2017

Chico City Council voted on a proposition made by the Chico Fire Department to bring on three full-time positions for the remainder of the fiscal year. The proposal was approved on a 4-3 vote.The positions will be supported by the existing department operating budget, coming from internal department sav...

Firefighter jobs safe for two additional months

The 15 employed through the SAFER grant will continue to work for an additional 2 months. Photo credit: Bill hack

Katia Berg

November 7, 2016

Newly-employed firefighters approach a hazy future as grant money runs out.The $5.3 million SAFER grant employed 15 firefighters in 2014, but as money runs low the Fire Department must decide if staff has to be cut. Options were presented to City Council on Nov. 1, which included:-Option 1: Adding no add...

Fire department cuts personnel, 15 face layoffs

The 15 firefighters employed through the SAFER grant could lose their jobs as grant money dwindles. Photo courtesy of Bill Hack.

Katia Berg

October 31, 2016

Fifteen Chico firefighters face losing their jobs as federal grant funding is lost. In early 2014, a $5.3 million grant was approved by City Council to fund over a dozen positions for the Fire Department. In two years, the grant money diminished significantly, forcing local firefighters to come to th...

City council bans furniture outside homes

Cory Hackbarth, senior mass communication design major, has a couch on his porch and is not in favor of the ordinance. Photo credit: Jenelle Kapellas

December 18, 2015

At a city council meeting on Dec. 1, the Chico Fire Department recommended an ordinance to council members that will prohibit furniture outside homes and patios. The ordinance passed and will be effective immediately, according to Sean Morgan, vice mayor of Chico. It aims to eliminate couch and furni...

Chico State's independent student newspaper
fire department