Explosive structure fire sends man to hospital


A fire erupted in a garage located at 1302 Dayton Road Wednesday. Photo credit: Tisha Cheney

A man was hospitalized after an explosion set fire to a garage Wednesday.

The incident took place on Dayton Road just after 1:30 p.m., according to the Chico Fire Department’s incident report.

“The street garage just exploded,” added the report.

The fire was then fueled by oil, gas cans and other highly flammable substances.

Officials were able to gain control of the fire within approximately 10 minutes, with one person injured.

The current condition of the man injured is unknown at the moment.

The fire department initially declared Thursday the cause of the incident was unintentional. They then updated that no statement will be made on the cause of the fire, as the cause and possibility of any criminal intent is still developing.

Tisha Cheney can be reached at [email protected] or @orionnews_TC on Twitter.