National gun control debate could change safety policies on campus

news

Isabel Charles

In the wake of several prominent shootings nationwide, campus officials have entered into a conversation about changes to security policies at Chico State.

“I’d like to see more staffing added to help increase security,” said Sgt. Richard Gridley of the University Police Department. “Crime happens most often when a place is an easy target. With increased staffing, there is more security and the university is not a target for crime and violence.”

As of now, Chico abides by the current state policy for gun control.

“Under penal code 626.10, nobody can possess a firearm on state property,” University Police Sgt. David Bird. “This includes BB guns and CO2 guns.”

The law previously allowed citizens to carry a gun as long as it was exposed and unloaded, he said. This is no longer the case.

“It’s hard to tell if a gun is loaded or unloaded, which caused a dilemma,” he said.

This resulted in changes to the penal code.

The Senate voted to keep the discussion open about President Barack Obama’s gun control policy Thursday, which includes increased funding for school security. Gun control has been debated since the shooting in Newtown, Conn. in December and the cases of school violence that followed.

Three months ago, the University Police Department handled a case concerning two young men carrying a .22 pistol outside of Meriam Library.

“It’s not a huge problem on campus,” Bird said, “but it happens.”

If a student is found with a gun on campus, the student is punishable by law of up to $1,000 or a year in jail, he said.

However, University Police officers only deal with the legal side of gun policy.

“If a student is found with a gun, the punishment really depends on the situation,” said Joe Wills, director of public affairs and publications. “A student with a concealed, unloaded gun in their dorm who had no idea of policy will be treated differently than a student who is walking around campus brandishing a weapon suspiciously.”

Gun control is a difficult topic, said Logan Anderson, a junior business administration major.

“With a concealed weapon, a license and proper training, maybe,” he said. “But there is always that one person who poses a risk, and that is a huge risk.”

<strong>The Orion can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>

1. Do you think students should be allowed to carry a gun with them on campus?