Weekly Top Five: Places to go for a weekend trip

opinion

Tara Miller

With so much on our minds as college students, we often get so carried away with our busy lives that we don’t take time to explore outside of town.But a weekend escape from Chico may ease the stress from a college student’s routine.

Being locked up in your room or getting drunk at Madison Bear Garden don’t always have to be things that make up your weekend plans.

I’ve created a list of the top five places to go on weekend trips. So, stop what you’re doing this weekend, and take some time to go explore. Trust me, you’ll be happy you did.

Fort Bragg: 190 miles from Chico

No matter if you choose to stay in a cabin or a hotel, there are plenty of fun things to do during a weekend trip to Fort Bragg, especially if you just want to relax and get your mind off of things. Whether it’s taking a stroll down Glass Beach or going for a swim in the ocean, there is always something to do. Along with going to the many beaches near Fort Bragg, you can also visit the Point Cabrillo Light Station or take a trip to one of several museums.

Lake Tahoe: 144 miles from Chico

If the woods are your thing, Lake Tahoe is your destination. Gather some friends, book a campsite and explore the forests. Along with camping, Lake Tahoe is a great place to take a visit over Christmas vacation with its abundance of snowman-building materials. During winter, you can choose to either ski or snowboard, or if that doesn’t fit you, you can grab a couple of friends and go to a nearby hot tub with some hot chocolate to flavor your soak.

Sacramento: 89 miles from Chico

Maybe its because it is the state capital or because of its proximity to Chico, but Sacramento seems to fall off of the radar. But it is a nice place to get a little taste of the city life by offering a shopping experience Chico can’t provide. Apart from shopping, you can visit Old Sacramento, where you can see some of the museums the city has to offer.

Redding: 72 miles from Chico

Even though it’s small and quaint, Redding has a lot of adventures to offer, from hikes near campgrounds to rock concerts. Along with camping, you can also visit the Redding Civic Auditorium, where many concerts and shows such as “The Nutcracker,” have been shown and ZZ Top and Clint Black have performed. Some other places to visit are the Turtle Bay Exploration Park and Lake Shasta Caverns, where you can enjoy a scenic walk with a loved one or some friends.

Bay Area: 173 miles from Chico

This may seem like a given and an often talked about place to visit, but not many people actually get around to making the trip there. It is only a two and a half to three-hour drive away, and San Francisco not only has several beaches to visit, but it also has many sites to see. Fisherman’s Wharf, Haight-Ashbury and just over the Bay Bridge in Oakland at Piedmont Avenue are some prime destinations to walk around. The area offers the luxury of choosing whether you want to relax on the beach or go into the city to enjoy some wacky people and activities with metropolitan flavor.

<strong>Tara Miller can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>

1. Tara Miller