Editorial: Proposal to bring booze to campus short lived

With the Greeks in the news more often than Chris Brown and Rhianna, it seems trite to throw another Greek story out there. Members of the Greek community: stop clenching your jaws and chill out, this one isn’t so bad. We promise.

There was a recent proposal from the Interfraternity Council to allow a trial run of some alcohol consumption in fraternity houses. But after freshman Sigma Kappa pledge Bethany Dixon was admitted to Enloe Medical Center on Feb 19, it was withdrawn.

This was done before President Zingg met with the Greeks on Sunday to further discuss the proposal.What a great way to show you’re ready to take control. They could have just as easily waited to let President Zingg meet with them and say it was a “no-go.” Instead, IFC decided to make the right decision and put it on the back burner in light of recent events.

IFC President Joe Leoncavallo doesn’t know when or if the proposal will be resubmitted, he said.

This idea probably wouldn’t have been a good decision even if the recent Sigma Kappa trouble had never happened. We’re already notorious for alcohol consumption, and literally bringing it to campus just seems like a bad call. I guess Madison Bear Garden isn’t close enough for some people, despite the fact you can see it from inside Taylor Hall.

Re-introducing something that we, as a school, have always battled with and has done so much damage to our reputation is just playing with fire – which we’ve done enough of lately. There are other campuses that have alcohol on campus, but the difference between them and us is we have a reputation. Drinking in moderation is a concept that most college students don’t quite grasp.

Alcohol flows here like curse words from a sailor’s mouth. It’s available enough already.

As far as the Greeks are concerned, we’d like to give a proverbial warm cookie to IFC for taking the first step and withdrawing the plan before having to be told to.

We’re hoping the Panhellenic Council takes a page out of IFC’s book and starts scanning the horizon for possible public relations woes before they get out of hand.

<strong>Editorial Board</strong>Nicole Williams, Managing EditorEvan Burt, News EditorJen Siino, Opinion EditorNatalia Ferruggia, Sports EditorEric Wendt, Entertainment EditorSonja Kydd, Features EditorJessica Stevens, Photo EditorJulian Williamson, Chief Copy EditorElizabeth Varin, Online EditorRodolfo Vazquez, Video Editor