Darkened streets create atmosphere of fear

opinion
opinion/columnists

Nicole Santos

Our city lacks streetlights, a vital component of the safety of students and the community.

I’ve noticed Chico streets seem uncannily gloomy when I ride my bike home after late-night meetings or head downtown to West Fifth and Ivy streets with friends during the weekend.

It wasn’t until last weekend when I realized this problem should to be fixed, and soon.

I recently dined with my family at 5th Street Steakhouse, and as my dad tried to find parking, my mom and brother both commented on how dark the streets were.

This was a bad sign.

The fact that my family noticed how poorly lit Chico is makes me feel uncomfortable and unsafe.

Belle Wei, Chico State’s provost and vice president for academic affairs, recently sent an email to the campus community noting an increase in campus police presence during the weekends to ensure the safety of students.

Campus Connection, a free after-dark shuttle service for students, is also expanding to provide more rides and escorts to surrounding campus parking areas, residence halls and off-campus housing complexes like University Village.

This is a good start, but more has to be done for those who live off campus. The safety of students and the community is my biggest concern, because poorly lit streets invite higher chances of crimes and assaults.

I’m one of several students who want more lights in our small town. Some students have even taken action to bring attention to this important issue.

One such student, Erik Taylor, called for more street lighting after he was attacked in the south-campus neighborhood last year in April, according to an article from Chico News and Review.

As a result, Taylor created a Facebook page called “More Lights Safer Nights,” dedicated to the cause of lighting up Chico.

Taking action is what our community needs to bring the problem to the attention of our City Council and police officials.

Maggie Vorhes, a sophomore environmental science major, wants more street lights installed, she said.

“‘Rape trail’ might not be called the rape trail if there were more lights,” Vorhes said.

Students who live off campus should voice their concerns to the Chico Police Department and ask whether it’s possible to install phones that could connect people in need to the department or Campus Connection personnel.

Brightening up the streets of Chico needs to be a priority.

Until then, I guess we will have to deal with living in the dark.

<strong>Nicole Santos can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>

1. Dark streets
  2. Nicole Santos