Connor Ramey: Summer boredom defeated

Connor Ramey

After eight months of school, the longest break has finally arrived. For most, it’s time to relax and have fun. But for sports fans it’s the most dreaded time of the year.

There’s no football, most Wildcat sports are finished and the Stanley Cup playoffs are down to the final two teams.

In the sporting world the summer months are full of stagnation and inactivity.

Yes, baseball is a month into its season, but the glory of opening weekend is long gone. No more red, white and blue banners. No more fireworks. No more belief that the sub-.500 team from last season is better this year. By now, you know if your team is bad or good, and in some cases – the Giants’ – it’s already a lost season. So what’s the point?

As a baseball lover, if you’re not sitting inside the ballpark, the season has two important parts: opening weekend and October playoffs. Wake me up then.

So with all this so-called baseball boredom and lack of any other sports, what is an ESPN-watching sports fan supposed to do?

How about going outside and playing those things you love to watch for a change.

Don’t wait until football season to run around the corner, grab a football and go to Bidwell Park. It’s so much better for you than slamming down that beer bong.

Instead of sulking over your team’s season-ending loss and the lack of sports on TV – except baseball – make an effort to do something different. Go camping. Go to the beach. Go play catch in the park. Go outside.

Thankfully Chico offers an array of things to do over the summer. From Bidwell Park to Outlaws games, Chico is a golden place to spend your summer.

Bidwell Park is more than 3,500 acres, and most of it is for you and me. If you can’t find a piece of land to call your own for 30 minutes to toss a football around, it’s out of laziness because it’s there. So are swimming holes, bike trails and summer clubs, including softball and soccer.

And there are the golf courses, both disc and normal. Yes, golf may be the most boring sport to watch but to play is a different story.

If trees and wildlife aren’t your thing, check out the Chico Outlaws. Nothing is better than watching baseball in a stadium with a hot dog in one hand and a beer in the other. If San Francisco or Oakland is too far, the Outlaws are better than your recliner.

There’s one summer a year and it’s better spent being active than moping on your couch wishing football was on. I know where I’ll be.

Connor can be reached at<a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>

<strong>Related links</strong><a href= “http://www.goldenbaseball.com/Chico/”>Chico Outlaws Web site</a>