Holiday show greets winter spirit with charm

entertainment

Jen Moreno

December has finally arrived and with it the countdown to Christmas, and what better way to welcome the impending holiday than with Christmas carols.

The music department at Chico State wasted no time getting in on the festive cheer.

They celebrated with the 12th annual Glorious Sounds of the Season fundraising concert.

This event was held this weekend at the Harlen Adams Theatre.

The concert, which featured students and faculty as well as community members and children, is held to raise funds for private scholarships for students.

Throughout the night, audience members were treated with instrumental ensembles, story readings, choral pieces and even a few sing-alongs.

Danielle Silveira, a senior music major and previous scholarship recipient, participates in various events throughout the school year, including the Glorious Sounds of the Season concert.

“I would say that this is one of the most fun events at Chico State to attend,” Silveira said. “It’s sold out every year.”

The concert participants were of a wide age range, with some participants as young as 6.

Alysa Shin, a junior at Champion Christian School, has been a member of the Children’s Choir of Chico for one year.

“I really liked the stage, it was great,” Shin said. “And the orchestra sound.”

For Chicoan Samantha Robie, a UC Berkeley graduate student, it was an opportunity to sing in Chico for maybe the last time.

She has been in numerous other Sounds of the Seasons concerts, on and off since she was in high school, she said.

“I’m glad I did it,” Robie said. “It might be my last chance before I go somewhere else.”

<strong>Jen Moreno can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>