Stick a fork in it: Lactose intolerant friendly meals: Cheese-free pizza, salsa chicken

features

Taylor Western

I recently discovered that I am lactose intolerant, which means my body can’t digest lactose, the sugar found in milk, in the small intestine. I began having stomach problems after eating and didn’t know why. I finally figured it out when I realized I could eat chicken mole that has no dairy, but couldn’t eat the cream-heavy pasta Bolognese. It seemed a likely diagnosis once my mom told me everyone in her family is lactose intolerant and that she started getting symptoms around my age. After doing some research, I found that 30 million Americans suffer from lactose intolerance by the age of 20, according to the New York Times.

Being lactose intolerant is annoying, because I love cheese. There are pills that help break down the enzyme, but lactose pills are expensive, so I try to eat meals without dairy. I decided to use two dairy-free recipes.

I made a cheese-free pizza to avoid the stomach ache. My boss is vegan and talks about ordering gluten-free pizza crust with lots of sauce and vegetables and no cheese. I have a lactose intolerant friend who orders pizza without cheese, and she says the fewer calories are worth it.

The second recipe is simple and delicious. It involves a crock pot or slow cooker, and I feel every college student should have one. My sister bought me one for Christmas for only $10 at Macy’s, and they go for $15 at Big Lots. The chicken and salsa recipe has no dairy in it and only takes as long as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to prepare. Both recipes are flexible, and I recommend these recipes to prevent you from cutting

the cheese.

<hr />

<strong>Taylor Western can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>

1. Lactose-free pizza
  2. Slow cooker salsa chicken
  3. Food Columnist