Cuban choir lures patrons to feet in traditional songs, dances at Laxson

entertainment

Miguel Rocha

Cries of joy echoed through Laxson Auditorium as Chico got a musical taste of Cuba.

The Creole Choir of Cuba, featuring 10 performers and descendants of Haitians, shattered language barriers as part of the Chico Performances concert Oct. 25.

Songs with messages of hope thrived through lyrics performed in the Creole dialect. Wearing yellow to show the Caribbean and abstract designs on their gowns, the singers got the crowd at Laxson on its feet with bodies moving to the rhythm of Cuban music.

The group’s purpose for taking Haitian and Cuban music to every part of the world began years ago, performer Marina de los Angeles Collazo Fernandes said.

The night started off with songs in the native Haitian dialect.

A special song performed translated into “Help Me Sing,” which was meant to get the enthusiasm going, Fernandes said. The song’s message varies from love, affliction and any feeling related to the ones Haiti is going through in these harsh times.

After playing reminiscent songs that narrated a story, they made a transition to an upbeat tempo. Cha-cha songs got attendees craving more. As the Cuban melodies continued, the people let loose and joined the choir on stage for a  dancing number.

“Las Cubanas tenemos tremendo sabor,” Fernandes said, which translates into “We Cuban women have great flavor.”

The tour started in September and people always joined them on the stage because they felt attracted to dance, she said. Guests seemed to enjoy it and danced to the flavor of Cuban music.

Performer Dalio Vital never expected people to get on stage, he said. Although he liked the friendly Chicoans, it never crossed his mind that Cuban music had a big influence in this part of the globe.

“Music is a universal language,” he said. “The rhythm makes people come together, dance and enjoy.”

Bringing his home sound to Chico reminded him of Haiti’s tragic 2010 earthquake that shook close to Vital’s heart. He is a first-generation Haitian.

Vital suffered a great deal to see so many lives lost and children left orphaned, Vital said. It was also sad because he is unaware if he had family living there when the earthquake hit.

“It is an unforgettable experience because in my 62 years I have never experienced that,” he said.

With its songs the choir was able to de-stress the Haitians, Fernandes said. It visited camps for the kids and people who lost their extremities.

The song “Pou Ki Ayiti Kriye,” which means “What is Haiti Crying For,” was written to portray all the suffering in Haiti.

Although they didn’t perform that song at Chico State, they did perform “Unforgettable” by Nat King Cole. People were mesmerized by the choice.

Patti Johnsen of Chico was pleasantly surprised about the performance, as she didn’t know what to expect prior to the event, Johnsen said. She liked when the crowd and the male performers danced and would’ve loved to dance to the Cuban music on stage.

“I think they moved very smoothly,” she said.

<strong>Miguel Rocha can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>

1. Cuban Choir
  2. Cuban Choir