Volleyball sees streak snapped, recover well

sports

Dario Gut

The Chico State women’s volleyball team lost to rival Sonoma State and then rallied for a win against Humboldt State.

Walking into this weekend’s tournament, the women’s team had strong momentum with three straight wins behind them, but the Sonoma State Seawolves had a savage surprise for the ‘Cats as they won set after set, setting the ‘Cats back 4-2 in the season.

Every set was won by Sonoma State Friday, 25-20, 25-18, 25-21 and 25-12, handing the ‘Cats their first loss in the CCAA opener.

The Wildcats led in the first set of the game, building a 16-12 lead. It took Sonoma State a few points to warm up, but shortly after took 13 of the next 16 points along with the help of six Wildcat errors. The ‘Cats didn’t lead any more sets throughout

the match.

“We weren’t as focused during the Sonoma game,” head coach Cody Hein said. “Our errors began to

stack up.”

A low .083 attack percentage held the ‘Cats back from winning any set, but a few players still shined through the night. Freshman Lindsay Quigley had her best night with a .571 attack percentage, nine kills and a couple of

service aces.

Jacqueline Johnson aided the Wildcats scoring record with 10 kills for the second time this season. Jessica Leek led the ‘Cats against Sonoma with 13 kills, two service aces and 11 digs.

“The little mistakes really got us,” Leek said. “We have the talent, we just didn’t perform at our best.”

The following day Chico State traveled to Arcata to pursue a well-needed victory against Humboldt State.

The ‘Cats pounced into action at the Lumberjack Arena winning every set, 25-13, 25-19 and 25-21, leaving the Chico State women’s volleyball team with a reassuring drive home and their final record at 5-2.

The team rallied to scrape out a crucial win in the conference, Hein said.

The rough game on Friday did not stop the ‘Cats from showing their true talent Saturday with 14 kills by Makenzie Snyder and 38 assists from Sable Villaescusa.

The men’s and women’s cross-country teams attended the game to give the volleyball team all the support they could.

The ‘Cats had just 19 errors throughout the game with a .232 attack percentage.

“Everyone did excellent, and the communication was there,” Villaescusa said.

Villaescusa delivered the final kill against Humboldt State to give Chico State a 25-21 win and a sweep of the match.

With a 1-1 record in the CCAA, the ‘Cats have home court advantage

this weekend.

<strong>Dario Gut can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>