Baseball grinds out series win

Thomas Lawrence

The baseball team survived two doubleheaders and two completely different brands of baseball this weekend to grab a series win over Cal State San Bernardino.

The No. 19 Wildcats – predicted to win the California Collegiate Athletic Association in a preseason poll – answered the bell in their conference opener against the Coyotes on Friday afternoon.

They took game one of the first doubleheader by an immense mark of 12-2.

Pete Mickartz had his first win of the year and got back on track after a 9.28 ERA through his first two starts and allowing the most extra-base hits on the team coming into the weekend.

Mickartz went seven innings strong, allowing one run from the Coyote offense.

Shortstop Kyle Eveland went 2-for-4 with three RBIs and a two-run home run in the fifth inning that gave everybody in attendance a free burger, courtesy of Carl’s Jr. – receiving the biggest applause of the game.

After the feel-good start to the CCAA season, the ‘Cats were hammered by the Coyotes in game two, losing 12-2 after starter Mike Robbins couldn’t get through the fourth inning, giving up eight earned runs on six hits.

The Wildcat defense didn’t help him out either, committing two key errors while he was still in the game.

Designated hitter Josh Meagher had the lone RBI for Chico State, with a run-scoring double for his only hit of the game.

Robbins said “it’s just tough” to lose in that fashion, stating the Coyotes simply capitalized on his mistake pitches in an off outing for him.

Head coach Dave Taylor said that he felt for Robbins, but that the ‘Cats need a stronger performance from their No. 2 starter.

After the opening split in a home stand Taylor instilled a sense of urgency in his club.

“Tomorrow is the biggest day of their baseball lives,” Taylor said, relaying what he told his team. “You just can’t split at home.”

Whatever version of that message Taylor gave his team, it worked on Saturday, with a doubleheader sweep and two shutouts – 2-0 and 4-0.

Freshman Jordan Lindebaum got the start in game one and picked up the first win of his collegiate career, going seven strong for the ‘Cats before reliever Ian Waldron came in for a two-inning save, his first as a Wildcat.

Center fielder Jimmy Dodos had the lone RBI for Chico State, with a solo home run in the bottom of the sixth inning that put the ‘Cats up 2-0 for good.

Finally, after two days chock full of college baseball at Nettleton Stadium, senior Joel Garcia closed the door on the series – before the bad weather could – with a complete game, 4-0 shutout in the seven-inning finale to both the doubleheader and the weekend.

Garcia said that an improved Wildcat defense in the second doubleheader went a long way to keep him in the game – as those like Dodos and left fielder Jordan Larson made spectacular plays in the field to keep San Bernardino off the board.

Taylor said Garcia’s precision with his off-speed pitches makes his fastball tougher to catch up to for opposing hitters.

Junior Cody Dee, the Wildcats catcher, laid down a precise squeeze bunt with the bases loaded in the bottom of the fifth, and Meagher followed with a two-run single to put Chico State on top for good, 4-0.

Right fielder Adam Arakawa had the lone multi-hit game for the Wildcats, going 2-for-3 with a run scored.

Larson’s bunt single extended his hitting streak to 12 games, which is one for every game he’s been in a Chico State uniform.

The win improves the ‘Cats to 7-5 overall and 3-1 in the CCAA.

Next weekend the Wildcats head to Southern California for a four-game series against Cal Poly Pomona – their first conference road trip of the season.

Thomas Lawrence can be reached at <a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>